DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 98 caravan (about 150,000 miles) that sat in the driveway for about 3 weeks without moving.... the parking brake was never put on.. i just started it up a couple times a week.. it just sat there because I need to replace the exhaust manifold before I was comfortable driving it... i went to pull it out of the driveway to bring it to the shop.. and the rear right wheel is locked up and wont turn.. I dont know what to do, as I am not THAT mechanically inclined.. I sprayed some stuff in there.. (my neighbor gave it to me and told me to do so.. some sort of lube or wd-40 .. break release or something) and I tapped the wheel with a hammer... no-go.

I'd like to use up all my options before I have to PAY to have it towed. Some other forums point to a cable or spring??

any ideas?

-thanks-

·
Registered Insane
200 Posts
Chances are your brake drums have rusted to the shoes. Happend to my '97 after sitting for a month. Have you tried rocking it hard back and forth, drive to reverse? If it's not the brakes, you may have a locked up hub bearing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the rear are drums...

thanks for the advice... if it turns out NOT to be just the drums stuck to the shoes(and turns out to be a bad bearing), and I start rocking it back and forth... do I run the risk for REALLY messing something up and totally damaging the rear end?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I do not think so

If the van was running and the wheel locked up with sitting, then I do not think it is a seized wheel bearing.

Rock it back an forth and see what happens; don't go crazy with this mind you

it should break loose

If it is indeed a seized bearing, then it is buggered anyway and you won't do much more harm

anyone agree with this?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Most probably it is the brake, either the cable is stuck or the whole drums are frozen due to water getting in. My Kia used to do this when it rained or snowed. A harsh push on the gas usually fixed that one. Just warm the wheel up and tap on it with a hammer and it should loosen up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i rocked it back and forth yesterday and it seems to have freed up... i have not moved it more than 10 feet yet... gonna drive it to the shop tonight... i think i may have heard some grinding back there.. gonna have the mechanic check that out... it may be time to have the rear brakes done.

thanks for the help everyone.

·
Registered Insane
200 Posts
You will hear grinding even if it's the brakes. This should stop after a few miles as the crud gets worn off. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the wheel probelm worked out ok... you guys here were a big help... it got to the shop

I got the exhaust manifold put on and the rear shoes relpaced, fairley inexpensive too.

thanks again for the help.

now I have to tackle this scary transmission problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.