DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm preparing to do a 2,300-mile drive, and I didn't know the condition of the motor and other components. I knew I had a water leak on somewhere behind the alternator. It was my first time working on a 5.7. I tore it down and replaced gaskets, hoses, radiator, double roller timing chain, T-stat, water pump, intake/plenum plate from 289guy on Ebay. Injector seals, fresh hardware. Steering gear from RedHead. Sanded off the corrosion buildup and painted alternator and other metal brackets. The water pump must've had a foreign object in the system because it was pitted. Two front intake bolts on the manifold broke due to corrosion. Extractor wouldn't budge and I didn't want to risk breaking that, so I carefully step-drilled and re-tapped. I bought the chain tensioner and did a mock-install, but decided not to use and returned back to Amazon. Vacuumed the cooling system and refilled. The van runs great!
Here's a few shots of the work I did.
DINSTAAR

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks ElkCon, it took sometime to complete, but the learning experience and completion gave a great sense of accomplishment.

Youll be able to anything you need to do!

BTW where did you get the belly pan? That looks great.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Pitting and corrosion inside the cooling system is never a good sign, it often means that two conflicting types of coolant were mixed together, like IAT with HOAT, for example. I'm going to assume you flushed the whole thing out and used the correct coolant to refill it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pitting and corrosion inside the cooling system is never a good sign, it often means that two conflicting types of coolant were mixed together, like IAT with HOAT, for example. I'm going to assume you flushed the whole thing out and used the correct coolant to refill it.
Yes, drain, flush, and pressure filled with new/correct coolant. Thermostat opens at 195°and running/circulating well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Youll be able to anything you need to do!

BTW where did you get the belly pan? That looks great.
EllCon, What belly pan are you referring to? I don't have a belly pan, unless you mean the chrome bumper. It came with the van. It's the B3500 commercial cargo version.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Pitting at the water pump can also be cavitation corrosion...

The centrifugal action of the pump can cause air bubbles to form and the presence of this air causes the corrosion.

Interesting, however, that a mix of different coolants might be a cause, but I'd think that would go beyond the water pump area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts