DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i cant get rid of #8 misfire Ive done complete tune-up cap, rotor, plugs, wires, even a new coil, ive replaced all 8 injectors. truck runs much better, but it surges around 1000 to 1300 rpm under load typically 40 to 45 mph. could the cam be bad and if so whats a good replacment. the truck has 181k and i pull a 2500 lbs trailer. right now 11 mpg is my best is 15 to 16 mpg possible or should i just shoot myself. :help:

· Pudge
297 Posts
What Kind of plug wires did you put on ?? i put on bosche wires and my truck bucked and pinged alot. I switched back to mopar wires and it runs fines.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
got the wires at auto zone , will pull valve covers and inspect springs, i love this truck but its killing me at the pump. just filled up 77 bucks 311.9 for 89 octane, my mpg for the last tank was 11.7

· Registered
215 Posts
You don't say what type of tranny you have, but if you have an auto with OD, then first of all, if your #8 cylinder, or any cylinder for that matter, is misfiring you will immediately know as soon as the tranny shifts into overdrive. The truck will bounce up and down. The "bounce" factor by the way gets worse with bigger tires. Hi speed + low rpms will bring out the worst in an engine. You say the truck surges between 40 and 45mph? I'm assuming with the cruise on? I think that's normal, but if you think it's too much, try changing your TPS--the little electronic device on the driver's side of the throttle body. The throttle positioning sensor senses the position of the throttle and feeds it to the ECM. If the ECM is not getting the right info from the position of the throttle, the ECM will in turn try to adjust for it. Hence the "surge". And if you're getting 11mpg pulling a trailer, consider yourself lucky. One of my buddies got 10 pulling a snowmobile trailer up in WI
abe

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
while searching other threads on the forum I decided try giving it the finger

Check out this thread and the problem I had. A Chrysler Tech gave me this info at post 12 in that thread. http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138174

first off found that the tb gasket was leaking, so pulled tb and cleaned it very well, took off all sensors and all contacts, iac was very dirty. after reinstalling tb and giving it the finger, wow no more bucking and surging, better throttle response. will check millage and repost, but from the way its running now its got to be better, also considering getting a fastman tb

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.