DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Pudge
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, so here is my problem, as i was towing the cattle trailer up a steep hill the check engine light started to flash so i stop and checked the code reader that i bought and it was P0307 which is cylender 7 misfire detected so as the truck lagged its sorry *ss up the hill i shut it off again and cleared the code and then it drove fine the rest of the way and had all its power, it is mind boggling me becuase when i drove it the other day i was hitting snow banks on the road becuase we received about 2 feet of it lol and the truck ran like crap and i checked the codes and it was random multiple misfires on cylender 1,3,7, im thinking the moisture had somehting to do with that, but other times it has misfired but then goes right back to running good.... anyone have any solutions?? Also the truck does not use any oil and does not ping and i still get a steady 12mpg , so i highly doubt its the plenum gasket but who knows.

Thanks

·
Registered
215 Posts
slugfest
No oil consumption and no pinging? I don't think it's your plenum gasket either. You don't say how old the truck is. If it's got some age on it, it surely wouldn't hurt to install new rotor, cap, plugs,and wires. There's a service bulletin on installing the wires in a certain fashion, althought I question the dynamics of that. My thoughts on plug wires is get the best you can, and you won't have to worry about cross-arcing. Then, if the truck is still misfiring, I'd be looking at the injector for your #7 cylinder. They go bad too. Reason I say that is because #7 was misfiring on my truck ('97 1/2 ton), and after I replaced all of the electrical stuff, it ended up being the injector.
abe

·
Registered
211 Posts
it surely wouldn't hurt to install new rotor, cap, plugs,and wires
You can easily check this by waiting till dark......starting the truck up.....and looking under the hood towards the wires. If there shot......you should see a light show.
You can also simulate damp weather by using a fine mist spray bottle and squirt water over the wires and coil. There made to be moisture resistant....so nothing should happen if the wires and coil are in good condition, I've performed this test numerous times over the years BTW.

·
bigkuntry72
648 Posts
just a wild guess but my 97 5.9 was having the same problem, would come and go away then come back. finally one day it wouldnt start, problem was timing chain had like a inch of slack. factory puts coating on chain for noise, when it wears off chain is loose. it will run bad, computer will fix timing and run fine for a while, finally when timing is advanced all the way and cant correct it anymore you are stranded. its very possible im misinformed on my situation but it makes sense to me.

·
Pudge
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya it shouldnt be my timing chain, when my motor had new piston rings installed on them the mechanics put a dual sprocketed timing chain on, so its stands up to more torque than a single chain would

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.