Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am new to the dodge forums and am having a problem with my van. The wife was driving the van home from work a while ago when it stalled while slowing to make a left hand turn. she was able to get it started and when she step on the gas it lurched foward and stalled again this time would not re-start.

When I got to the van I checked the fuel pump and couldnt hear it run at key on. I proceeded to check fuel pressure and nothing at the fuel rail, so I then checked fuses and relays and all were fine. So I bought a new fuel pump and installed and now can hear it run at key on, and there is sufficent fuel pressure at the injectors and still no start. So after that I checked for spark and got nothing. so just on a whim I replace the coil pack to no avail, at this point I called up a buddy with a Snap-On scan tool and got the following codes,

P1389- no asd relay output voltage at pcm
P1388- asd relay control circuit-open/short
P0353- ignition coil #3 Primary circuit.

so asd relay I asked my self so I find relay switch it around and nothing different happens.

I got on here and started searching around and noticed alot of people describing some of the same symtems and kind of referred to the crank position sensor and cam position sensor, so I replace both of those as well to no avail.

at this point I have no further clue as to what to look at except possible pcm issues, which I can get a new one for fairly cheap but I have already dumped some money into this trying to fix this thing and dont want to buy a computer I cant return if its not the issue. so any suggestion please would be greatly apprectiated

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well one month later got my van running with a junkyard PCM, ran great for about 2 days. Now I have a completely new problem. While driving the van today at 55mph the van just stalls out, tried cranking the motor, turned over just fine but would not fire, about 5 min. later while holding the gas pedal to the floor while I cranked it I got it to start but it it just stuttered and shook and the rpms would not go above 1000 rpms, popping and missing the whole time,also had a nice sulfer smell while it was running let off the gas and it just goes dead. So I leave the van to get ahold of a buddy with a tow truck, left the van on the side of the road for about 5 hours, got the van home tried to start it, starts fine but seems to missing on 1 or 2 cyl. It revs up fine but just has a continuing miss the whole time. The only other thing that is out of the ordinary is the Service Engine Soon light is lit and occasionally flashes, tried to reset the PCM thinking I could clear the SES light but did nothing different.

Now I believe I may have a clogged fuel filter, what are your thoughts.

·
Registered
395 Posts
On my 96 ram, the flashing CEL was the prelude to total computer failure. Replaced the computer and the cel stayed off and the truck ran fine.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
When you got the PCM from the junkyard,did it match exactly? It must be the exact match.year,model,engine size,ac,theft control and all. The numbers on your PCM must match the numbers on the replacement PCM.
You can check your own codes with the ignition switch method.
Turn the ignition to the ON position. Then turn it to OFF-ON-OFF-ON as fast as possible.
Your check engine or service engine soon light will begin blinking codes.
All codes are in two digit format and will blink that way. As an example-one blink..pause...two blinks is a code 12. Five blinks...pause five blinks is a code 55.
Those two codes most people will get. Code 12 is battery recently disconnected and 55 is end of message....telling you diagnosis is done. Any other codes may be the source of your problem.
Try putting your old coil back in,it is possible to get a bad coil from the manufacturer. If this gets rid of the miss,return the new one as defective.
There is also the possibility you got a PCM from the junkyard that was ready to go itself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you for the info on how to check the codes through CEL I knew you could do that on other vehicles I just didnt know how on these. And yes part numbers on the computers where identicle except the date and time stamp and as I stated the van ran absolutly perfect for 2 days after install. Now when i read the codes through the light I got codes 12, 43, 55 so I will do what you recommended and swap out coil packs and get back to you on the results. after I swap coils do I have to reset the PCM?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Disconnecting the battery is always the safest way to work on anything electrical. Doing so resets your PCM.
You'll also be able to tell if the same exact code comes back or is now not present.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
swapped coil pack still have same misfire code and definate miss, I am starting to think that I did get a bad PCM from the junkyard, I guess I will have to do some more junkyard searching or just spring for a new one. thanks for all the help and advice.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
There is always the possibility of a corroded, or broken, connection between the coil pack and the PCM. Might want to make sure before purchasing one. You might also want to go over any ground straps and verify they have good connection.Disconnect the four prong plug from the coil and do this test. By doing the test in the picture you should know which direction to go. If the test light functions correctly in all the cylinder's you have two bad coils,bad spark plugs,bad plug end or bad spark plug wires. If it doesn't function correctly in any of the tests it can be either the PCM or bad connections.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tested the connector on the coil with a test light and one of the leads is giving power full time the other three had no reaction what so ever, not a flash not a nothing, now Im completely fooled as to why it runs if im not getting any signal to the coil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.