DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how hard is it to change from an auto to a manual tranny?

·
So whats UR excuse?
4,542 Posts
I would say it's more time consumeing than hard to do.

First you will need a computer from a Manual car, then the entire tranny w/ clutch cables, shifter ect.

The tranny will bolt right up to the block no problem. The worst thing I think will be getting a clutch pedal installed! The shifter and cables should be no problem!
AND BTW you can expect a few more HP from it being an MTX than an ATX.
Good luck! OH and you might want to look on Neons.org or Allpar.com for a how to on the tranny swap. Good luck!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips. I need to pull the tranny anyway to change the rear main, so I'm doing most of the work already. I guess my biggest question would be if the mounting points are on the firewall for the clutch pedal or not. If it's a bolt-up swap, I may do it.

·
So whats UR excuse?
4,542 Posts
You might pull your carpet back and see if there are holes for the clutch assembly to mount to! Id say that if you can get the parts like clutch Assembly and shifter, it should be no problem at all. I think the cables will travel just fine in the same route that the ATX's did. Right thru the floor plan at an angle towards the front end.

You do know that you should also change the clutch too if before you go to manual.
Wouldn't want to rip it apart again in a few months to replace it. Also MTX tranny fluid is not cheap! The only place you will find it is @ the Dodge Garage. NVT-350 is what it's called. It also smells like crapp! And it's about 14 bucks a quart! You will need around 4 I think. Then there are axle seals which will need to be replaced. They are cheap @ autozone....the funny thing about them is they look to be exactlly the same but they are two diff prices! Like 3 bucks diff. I ASK WTF???? Anyhow you will have a good bit of time and several hundred bucks into it. A cheap clutch is better than 300$ I think. I spent close to 600 for mine.A Mopar Performance PCM is about 250$ but you should be able to get one cheaper out of the car you got the tranny from.

Good Luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.