DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a 97 dakota v6 3.9L and im new to dodge and i love the truck so far. but i dont liek how little power it has. iv looked at chips and such but im not sure what is a good start. any sugestions? ( i am low on cash so motor swaps and such are kind of out of the question for a while)

·
Registered
201 Posts
I would start with a cold air intake ,then a chip or module,then headers and y-pipe exhaust(duel),then new Throttle body and spacer and list goes on and on.......but if your planning on swapping the engine in the futur ,save your money for the bigger engine.

·
Registered
201 Posts
K/N cold air intake,chip you can find on ebay,I used the hypertech programmer which is a little expensive,and the exhaust,start with headers with a y-pipe,I had custom exhaust mechanic do my exhaust and it sounds great with added power.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks. is the jet chip any good..? i mean has anyone here had any exsperiance with it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Don't go with a jet chip. When you are just using a chip it alters the signals entering and exiting the PCM, doesn't change them, the gains are noticable at first, but the more you drive the PCM will learn what that is doing, and slowly adjust itself back stock, it will detune itself, now a programmer on the other hand will remove your stock tune and implant an optimized tune. This is the way to go, you'll be very pleased with what these programmers can do. Also keep in mind when doing exhaust work on the 3.9L, its a backpressure hungry motor, the more you open up the exhaust, the more low end torque you will likely lose, best thing you can "opinion" is hack off that restrictive 14 foot long hunk of rust muffler you have now, and put a nice stainless 20+ inch magnaflow on it, these longer magnaflows are great for the smaller motors, have a nice deep mellow tone, because you don't want a loud raspy v-6, but a little rumble is allways nice. Also that 3.9l will run hels better if you run 91+ octane in it, and believe youll make the cost up in gas mileage gain, if its one thing dodge is good at is retarding timing to reduce knock, and retarding timing kills power, so put some high octane in that there sum beach. If it were me and on a budget i would prolly go with a cheaper intake, from ebay, just a slight bent pipe with a filter that connects to the factory air hat, this will breathe much more air then needed for a smaller motor, and won't put a hole in your wallet, just make sure you get one with a name brand filter with it, like a K&N. Put a set of autolites in it also, good cheap plug.

·
The Cherry Express
3,846 Posts
Jet product's SUCK, plain & simple. Go with the K&N, & as far as putting header's on a V6, more problem's than it is worth, you will get great results by going with a high flow muffler alone. And you DON'T need a 3 inch on a V6, you will kill all the torque, So all you really need is the K&N, a muffler & if you like, an MSD ignition & coil!!! By the way DYNOMAX, SPINTECH, MAGNAFLOW are all good choices for the exhaust.

·
Sheeps are fun
106 Posts
sk8tor, I too have a '97 with a 3.9. Like you, I've too been trying to find a decent programmer for it. Unfortunately, I've been told that '97's are OBDI, while '98's and above are OBDII...and most of the more popular programmers are for OBDII. I'm sure someone SOMEwhere makes a tuner for guys like us, and I'm searching for one. What 0347dak said regarding JET is correct. It merely alters the signal, but doesn't actually affect the programming, which is what really needs to happen for a permanent effect. While bearing in mind about the difference in diagnostic programs, if any of y'all have any ideas, I'd be really grateful to hear them. :cheers:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alright thanks.. lol so basicly this truck will never get alot of HP is what i gather ( without motor swaps and stuff)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
and any sugestions on an exhaust... I would liek the truck to sound badda$$ like a rumble not some ricer lol

·
Sheeps are fun
106 Posts
Well, define "a lot". Decent set of duel exhaust, modify the air intake, there's a few things that can be done. if you're talking 100 added horses..naa fat chance ,lol. After all, it is a V6, ya know? Most people that I've talked to recommend a 2.5 in exhaust system with a slight edge of preference towards the Flowmaster 50 series in a cat back duel set up. Also, you might want to look into the Fastman's throttle bodies. They look pretty interesting to me. My advise is to poke around, do some homework and find what looks good to you. Good luck!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thansk for all the help.
and should i even buy a chip? or will all jsut go back to stock after time?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Don't waiste your money on a chip, honestly you prolly wont even notice a difference other then it will hang onto gears a little longer, which the 3.9s power falls off early anyways. Do a cold air, put a magnaflow muffler on it, set of autolites, and run high octane and youll be surprised by the difference. Its not gonna be no 100 horses but the this little motor does respond well to little work.

·
Sheeps are fun
106 Posts
Because of the diagnostic program, a chip won't help, so no, don't waste your cash. Like 0347 says above, start with a cold air intake system. Most people prefer K&N, but I hear good things about Volant's rig as well. I'm using a drop in K&N in the stock air intake, but am changing over to the full monte this weekend. If you do plan on an exhaust mod, remember not to go too large on the pipe diameter, 2.5 inch is plenty big. 3.9's like that little bit of back pressure, and going any larger will make it sound raspy rather than "growly". One last tidbit. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither will your truck be. Have fun with it!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I think your truck allready has 2.5" exhaust, correct me if im wrong, but if it were, i would just have a long magnaflow welded in, I once had a flowmaster just welded in on my exhaust and ended up buying the 3" catback setup, i couldnt tell a difference at all, although it sounded better, but i also have a v-8. I have personally heard a magnaflow on a 3.9L, and its the best sounding exhaust i have even heard on a 3.9l, everything else sounds ricey.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
any one ever hear of a Rocket Muffler. and if so can you give some info on them? iv searched google and found nothing.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Ive never heard of a rocket muffler, but i would recomend the magnaflow. I wish i wouldve done magnaflow instead of flowmaster.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i was jsut searchign the forum and saw some guy post something about a rocket muffler. he said it was a really loud set up. and me growing up around hotrods and such really want a rumble to my truck

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.