DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck misfires and backfires through the tailpipe when cold. Seems to smooth up when the truck is warm and RPM is over about 1200. I can still feel an occasional misfire after it's warm but it's definately worse when cold.

I replaced the cap and rotor and Sea Foamed the top end via the brake booster vacum line. I also added a can of Sea Foam to the tank. I'm about half way through that tank now.

Truck ran fine for about a day after I replaced the cap/rotor, then the CEL came back on with the same codes and symptoms just not quite as bad.

The truck sits out at night and outside temp is in the teens at night here now. When the problem started, temps were probably in the 30-40s at night.

Thoughts?

·
Bridal Veil Falls
3,229 Posts
Could be the coil as well......

Verify your wire routing, wire crossfire will cause problems as well...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was wondering about the coil, didn't know if cold temps would affect the coil. Plug wires were replaced about 18 months ago I added wire wrap and looms to seperate them.

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
extreme Cold weather affect electronics, yes. 30 degree wont (or rarely)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
any recommendations on a coil brand?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
have hade issue with stock replacements in accel and msd
ended up going beck with standard perfesional

·
Registered
9,235 Posts
pull the crank position magnet out, wipe off the oil & metal fragments. could get a false or weak timing reading there!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stupid question. Where is the crank position sensor located and how do I remove it?

Thanks!

·
Bridal Veil Falls
3,229 Posts
It is below the rotor in the distributor, do not pull the distributor or else you will have to take it to a mechanic to get it reset...

This is the cam position sensor^

The Crank position sensor is located on the transmission bellhousing, I believe it is on the passanger side.....

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
did you replace your plugs and wires? I would also check the plug wires to make sure they are seated good

·
Bridal Veil Falls
3,229 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OleTomCat wins the prize!!!

Coil!

Finally got time to work on the truck last night. Pulled the plugs, they were fine. Ohmed the plug wires, they were fine. Compression test indicated some ring wear on the left (1-7) bank. Right bank was fine which seemed a little odd, but ok i'll take it.

Checked the coil, primary restistance was 2.1 ohms. Out of spec. Stores were closed by then so I went early this morning and bought/installed a new coil.

Truck is running smoothly and no codes on the drive in. I'm hoping it's fixed.

Thanks to all who helped!

Tom

·
Bridal Veil Falls
3,229 Posts
OleTomCat wins the prize!!!

Coil!

Finally got time to work on the truck last night. Pulled the plugs, they were fine. Ohmed the plug wires, they were fine. Compression test indicated some ring wear on the left (1-7) bank. Right bank was fine which seemed a little odd, but ok i'll take it.

Checked the coil, primary restistance was 2.1 ohms. Out of spec. Stores were closed by then so I went early this morning and bought/installed a new coil.

Truck is running smoothly and no codes on the drive in. I'm hoping it's fixed.

Thanks to all who helped!

Tom
Glad I could help......

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
97 5.9 Misfires, backfires when cold, codes P0300, P0301 **OOPS still broke**

Sorry OleTomCat!

Spoke too soon. Went to lunch. The misfire is back at all temps. Now the only code is P0301.

Injector? Resistance is in spec and when I listen to it it has a regular tick like it should.

Thoughts?

·
Bridal Veil Falls
3,229 Posts
Did you reset your PCM?

Should normally do that when every you replace ignition parts....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I left the battery disconnected overnight. CEL was off on the drive to work. Came back on at lunch.

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
Leaving it disconnected doesn't normally erease memory, You have to follow the tricks see here, Key trick is one example, ground positive battery to frame, is another (all of this done with thw battery disconnected.)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.