DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 Ram 5.9. Recently I've noticed that the temp gauge won't get above about 135 degrees. With the heater on the temp coming out is barely warm. It does this even after driving it around for an hour or more. It just won't get up to the normal operating temp. Any ideas?

Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Sounds like it's time for a thermostat.:gr_patrio

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'll try that tomorrow.

Mark

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I was thinking it might be that, but thought I'd check here first for advice just in case someone had run across something else. Oh well, cheap fix and after 13 years it could be worse!

mark

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, it was the thermostat. One of the little side tabs on the thero had busted and the copper pellet and spring was jammed and stuck to the side of the thermo. I must say it was a major pain getting that thermostat housing out. One of the heater hose clamps was in the way, moved that around and then the "front" tab on the housing was getting caught. Finally, got the darn thing out. That tab is coming off before it goes back in. Now trying to get all the old black sealant off the housing and the mounting area. While it was out I'm replacing the upper hose. Don't want to screw with that again.

Thanks again
Mark

·
Registered
204 Posts
I put in a 180 deg. thermostat a while back to help get rid of some pinging and it definitely is harder to get to than alot of other vehicles.

Now the 180 is closed until temperature, but sticks open and doesn't come back above about 140 so I need to change it out. At least I get that initial heat to knock out the cold when I first get in the truck.

So I've been putting off changing it out since it is annoying to change.
I thought about looking for a way to extend the location up to make it easier reach. Any thoughts on that?

KP

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.