Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
My brother's 96 Grand Caravan stopped cold Saturday. A friend told me about this forum, so I am asking for some advice.
The van had been running fine, although the EGR valve needed replacing. Apparently it just cut off on him while coming to a left turn.
It has been gone over, with no mechanic being able to determine what has happened. We have been told that the battery is dead from repeated attempts to start, and that wiped the computer's memory out.
I know this is very little to go on, but if anyone has any ideas, we would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
984 Posts
You'll need to put a full charge on that battery first. I'd take it someplace like an auto parts store that does free testing, such as Auto Zone or Advance. That may be your problem right there.

The next step would be to check the onboard diagnostics for trouble codes.

To read your trouble or fault codes on most Chrysler vehicles, turn your ignition key from the “off” to the “run” (NOT “start”) position three times. In other words ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON. Watch your “check engine” (or similar) light. The light will flash a sequence of paired numbers. For example, three flashes, a pause, and four flashes indicates Code 34. When this test is done, you will get a Code 55. You can find a list of the codes by doing a Google search for “Chrysler trouble codes” or go to www.allpar.com. Also be aware of the following:

· Codes sometimes varied by model and year. In other words a Code 32 on, say, a 1993 LeBaron may not indicate the same problem as a Code 32 on a 1996 Caravan. Read your trouble code list carefully, including the footnotes.
· Note that Code 12 is frequently seen, and only indicates that power from the battery was interrupted sometime within your last 50 startups. Unless you have good reason to believe you have a problem in the battery circuit, you can ignore this one, especially if you’ve had some sort of service or disconnected your battery in the last couple of months (and obviously you’ve done that, so you will get a 12).

Good luck, and let us know the result.

Rick

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.