DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody experienced cracking of top dash panel? Mine is breaking in several places. Has anybody replaced the panel? I am wondering how difficult it would be to R&R. Looking for info on sequence of disassembly and replacement. Also any info for best place to order new panel.

Thanks
Deauggie

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Many have had that experience; search button should give r+r, and more info. ... Sorry, DK where to find one.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The best way to crack a perfect dash is to tell someone "I have a perfect dash." I made it 280+K on a perfect stock dash, then had to say something here about it & now I got plastic dash parts flying at me while I'm driving :D

genosgarage.com has replacement dashes & also just covers if thats what your looking for. I havent bought one from them but they would be the place if was going to actually fix mine. I just drive with safety glasses on now :cool:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm with you, I want to do it the right way. Can you direct me to any instructions or videos showing how to do the R&R. I'm not sure exactly what has to be disassembled or removed in order to get access for removal and replacement.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
These are the two write-ups I memorized and I also watched some youtube stuff although I couldn't find an exact video. It's really not that bad. Just screws and bolts. Mine was a little harder with the 5spd but the autos have the shift cable to worry about. I must've read these steps for two years before ordering the dash so I knocked it out in a couple hours.

http://www.dodgeownerforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=17745.0

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/lmc-truck-dash-replacement-t291172p6.html

If you have any questions, just shoot away. Happy to help!

Edit: it's too early for my brain and I realize now you have the older dash so it won't be the same as these links/ but it's a place to start anyway. I think there's a video of a 97 on youtube maybe? Mine's the 98-02 dash.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks RAM1878.
Ya, mine is a '96 1500, so its going to be different. Your description will help a lot, but I'll keep searching for 2nd Gen. video or description before I dive in.

Mine has screws that secure the defrost ducts to the underside of the dash panel. Sounds like yours did also, but you didn't install them. I'm concerned that if I don't secure the ducts with the screws, there would be gaps and/or rattles between the dash panel and the ducts or that the ducts would not line up properly with the cutouts in the dash panel. Anyway thanks a million for taking the time to share your experience with me.

Deauggie

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By the way, how do I input the information about my truck under my messages, ya like you and others have on all your messages where you describe you vehicle details?

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Actually I did get all the vents screwed back in except the center most vents but it has a gap of about 1/16 so I don't care. I bought tiny screw drivers and even shaved the handle down on one and contorted my body backwards with my arm up under the dash and got the screws in blind.

I used the links merely as courage boosters to dig in but I took my time and tried to do the most thorough and complete job I could.

The signature should be under member control panel under tools or settings or something. I still can't believe Dodgetalk changed it's format for the first time in 10 years. Can't get used to it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I agree. If I'm going to do a job I try to take my time and do it as well as possible.
I usually over analyze and spend far too much time thinking about it before I dig in. Once I start I normally get it done more easily that I anticipated. But I'm just more comfortable knowing as much as possible before I start.

BTW, I was wondering why the glove box needs to be removed if we're going to swing the entire dash down. Is it just so that you can reach through to access some of the hardware or does it restrict the dash from dropping somehow?

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
You may not need to on yours, but my 99 has the passenger air bag and the bolts for it and assorted brackets/plugs are all found behind the glove box. It was a complete dis-assembly.

I do the same with learning something or repairs. I must have researched dashes for eight years off and on. Wasn't sure what to do then LMC came out with their factory replacement and people were pleased with the fit and finish so I chose that over anything else.

Something I did for years was google dash repairs and scour forums for pics and write-ups. That's how I found the two I sent you. There's so much out there I never had to ask help (not that it's bad!) but at some point I just dug in and figured I could do it. It felt so good to do my own repair! So I'm happy to help anyone who needs it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.