DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my van quit while i was driving and i thought it was the fuel pump.changed fuel pump no fix,checked the fuel pump and ASD relay they checked good,took it to a mechanic i have taken my vehicles to for 20 years.he said i was getting no spark and changed sensors,coil and tryed other things no fix.he said he thinks its the computer but he doesn't have equipment to program.took van to dodge dealer they said they did diagnostic test and told me it was the fuel pump there was no pressure at the rail.i took pump out and exchanged for a new one put pump in and changed fule filter and lines that come out of fuel filter no fix.checked pressure at rail checked good 49psi which is what it should be according to manual.I would appreciate any ideas out there thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
don't mean to hijack this thread but i'm having same issue with 3.3 still no go after replacing cam and crank sensor. I was driving it and it just died on me. Hope someone have the answer for our problem. I've also replaced coil, and tried with another pcm, don't know what else to try other than using the car for parts.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I'm wondering if this is the problem with a wiring splice under the PDC? Someone said that there is a wire splice that gets green corrosion and needs to be cleaned and reconnected. They have also mentioned that you have to remove some tape off the wiring harness to find it. I havnt tracked down this problem yet so I'm not 100% sure but it's worth a try? Here's some more info on the ASD relay.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Chump is right. stop throwing money at the car and get out a dvom to find the problem. with the key on the ASD relay will click on then off untill crank speed is seen by the PCM. After verifying the relay is working properly, verify power at the individual components to isolate loss of power. Also note that the ASD wire powers up the injectors.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Had same problem. The crank sensor I bought new at autozone was dead out of the box. Check to see if you have spark. If no spark then replace with dealer Crank sensor. Or use a scope or DVM to measure the output of the crank sensor. Get Service manual to check crank sensor pin output. Also it could be spacing. If the sensor is not seeing the crank meaning not close enough it wont work. The ASD Relay only came on when I was cranking the engine and shuts off in the on position unless the engine starts then it stays on.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Some more help...

ASD Relay Description and Operation

PURPOSE
The ASD relay supplies battery voltage to the fuel injectors, electronic ignition coil and the heating elements in the oxygen sensors.

OPERATION
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) operates the Auto Shutdown (ASD) relay by switching the ground path on and off.

The PCM controls the relay by switching the ground path for the solenoid side of the relay ON and OFF.

The PCM turns the ground path off when the ignition switch is in the OFF position unless the 02 Heater Monitor test is being run.
When the ignition switch is in the ON or Crank position, the PCM monitors the crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor signals to determine engine speed and ignition timing (coil dwell).
If the PCM does not receive the crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor signals when the ignition switch is in the Run position, it will de-energize the ASD relay.

The ASD relay is located in the Power Distribution Center (PDC) . The PDC is located on the driver's side inner fender well. A label on the underside of the PDC cover identifies the relays and fuses in the PDC.

CIRCUIT OPERATION
Circuit A0 from the bus bar in the Power Distribution Center (PDC) supplies battery voltage to the coil side of the Automatic Shut Down (ASD) relay. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) controls the relay by supplying ground for the coil side on circuit K51. Circuit K51 connects to cavity 67 of the PCM.

When the PCM grounds the ASD relay, contacts inside the relay CLOSE and connect circuit #4 from fuse 12 in the PDC to circuit A142. Circuit A142 supplies battery voltage to the generator field, ignition coils, fuel injectors, and the heater elements in the heated oxygen sensors. Circuit A142 also connects to cavity 6 of the PCM.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
ok now that I know almost for sure that the issue is the PCM, I going to get it from the dealer, does anybody know if this computer needs to be programmed or it's auto learn??? the part number is:

P04727176
date 1/06
s/n teh00563321

4651711-2

·
Registered
35 Posts
Assuming you have properly diagnosed the problem, yes the new (reman) PCM will have to have information manually keyed into it. If the vehicle has factory security it probably wont start untill this info is "installed".

Good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Pcm Progamming

Since it has been several days since the last posts I am assuming that maybe you have replaced your PCM. However, if you have not I had to do the same and ordered mine from Cardone Computers through my local Auto Zone for about $350.00. I found that depending on the build date of your engine will decide on the programming. A notice to program automatically comes with the unit; however, we installed ours without any particular programming and it has been working so far!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.