DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this site and learned much already. I hope someone out there can help. I was towing my RV with my 96 2500 2wd V-10 when the trailer brakes went out. The trailer weighs 10,000. I was ok because I was on the Xpress way. (no stops) So I thought till a lady cut me off and I had to hit the brakes hard. After that I had the ABS and BRAKE lts come on. Was told I boiled the fluid. I changed the fluid and bled the brakes. No change. Sometimes when you step on the peddle it makes a gurgling noise. Sometimes the light doesn't come on till this noise is heard. If someone could help me it would be appreciated.

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
The abs and brake light could be on because of a bad sensor or wire on the rear axle. I have smoked my brakes and fluid and have not had a gurgling noise. Where does this noise come from? Brake pedal, master cylinder, or somewhere in the rear?
First start off by checking all the wires for your brake controller and find out why the trailer brakes failed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ABS Lights

Trailer brakes fixed. Noise is comming from fire wall could be abs pump. Peddle moves and brakes release alittle when the noise is heard. Sometimes light does not come on for awhile. Then the noise happens at the light comes on shortly after.

·
Registered
842 Posts
You may have pushed a seal out of the master cylinder

·
That's why I like Dodges!
165 Posts
It should be rebuildable but don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
ABS problem

The noise your hearing is the pump motor dumping pressure I assume that your brake pedal drops a bit when this noise is heard???? Is this a RWAL system??? Rear Wheel Antilock only or is is Full ABS...if you don't know just check the front wheels for the presence of a wheel speed sensor. Sounds like the vehicle is going into an antilock braking mode which means that the CAB the antilock brake controller is seeing one of the vehicles wheels locking up and it is dumping pressure..actually the controller is doing its job...there are a few things that can cause this...you could have a bad wheel speed sensor sending the wrong reading to the controller one of the sensors could be droping out...say your going 40 miles an hour and you press on the brake you have 3 wheel speed sensors reading 40 miles and hour and the fourth sensor says your going 0 miles an hour the controller thinks that your in a skid so it dumps pressure..Also check your tone rings on your vehicle this is where the speed sensors get there readings from...I have found a lot of tone rings cracked or broken make sure you check these tone rings carefully....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.