DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The lower floor air vent next to the air bag box is dripping coolant. I guess it's coolant. Its much thicker than coolant and its sticky. must be evaporated or condensed coolant ??
Does this mean that the heater core is leaking?? If so can anyone give info on how to R&R. Any suggestions, tips, videos etc. would be appreciated.
I have heard conflicting stories 1) drop the entire dash to access, 2) access from underneath the dash, ?????????????????

Thanks
Frank

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
What color is it? What does it smell like? If the core is leaking you will smell antifreeze through the vents. The dash needs to be pulled away from the firewall to access it. if you get the core with the swivel lines on it you wont have to completely remove the heater box. there is (or used to be)a how to post on how it's done somewhere on here. Cant find squat after the side downgrade.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
The color is a mucky green. Only get an odor when heat is turned on. Just smells kinda like hot steam. If its not a leaky core what else could it be??
I've never Pulled the dash so I'm a little nervous about it. So you have to tilt the dash down, but it doesn't have to be removed from the truck right?
What about AC, does it have to be evacuated and recharged??
I need to hunt for a 'how to' post or a 'YOUTUBE'

Thanks again
Frank

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Use yo be many pics here showing dash pulled away from firewall, and pass side of dash hanging from a strap; unsure about 97 and older though.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
I had mine out about 3 times. The dash is not that hard to do. I left it on the lower screw(drivers side) but all the other screws came out. Drop the steering column and you can rest the dash on the passenger side seat. If you get an oe style core(non movable lines) the ac will need to be disconnected and recharged when done. If you get the one with the swivel lines will you dont have to. You need to pull the heater box away from the fire wall slightly but you dont have to touch the ac. I had both in my truck oe style and the aluminum(oe style sprang a leak about two years after i put in in) and like the aluminum one way better! You can feel heat way faster than the oe brass/copper one. This guy installed the swivel line core.
https://youtu.be/FmwynTugfI0

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since the stuff is thick and feels kinda oily, could it possibly be from the evaporator core. Is there anything like that in the AC system. However the AC is blowing cold, so...........

Hate to go through that Dash removal and replace process only to find out that the evap is the leaker

Thanks
Frank

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for this reply and the video.

Im a little nervous about tackling the dash removal, but I think i'll give it a shot.

Since you've done this several times, maybe you could mention the key things to be aware of.

Does any of the electrical need to be disconnected?

Does the glove box need to be removed?

Does the air bag box need to be removed?

How can you leave the driver side attached without bending or breaking something when you pull the passenger side away from the firewall.

Thanks
Frank

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
If your evaporator core was leaking it would leak from the ac water drain at the bottom of the fire wall not from the vents inside(i had this happen also). Disconnect your battery and remove the abs box at the bottom center(floor),steering column then the dash screws and that's about it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK thanks, time to order the core. Since the top dash panel is badly cracked, I might as well replace it while I'm at it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.