DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I was wondering what upgrades would be best to use on my truck. I mean I've been looking across here the last few days for ideas and I've come across so many varying great ideas and I was wondering what would be best for the truck. I have an idea what I would like for the exterior of the truck but what I'm wondering what would be best to increase my horsepower along with my gas mileage. At one time the hp would of been the main key but after all the miles on this truck mpg is gonna have to be a consideration as well because they have fallen off some, but that's to be expected.

1994 Dodge Ram 1500
5.9L V8
234k+ miles
4x4 - though seldom used
Mostly rural roads and 4 lane highway driving around 50-60 mph

I was thinking a throttle body spacer, maybe Ram Air hood and K&N intake would help some but outside of taking the engine down porting it out and putting in a new cam what else can I do? Any help you guys can offer would be appreciated, and great forums. Not just for the Ram but for all the different models.

·
4x4, Straight pipe roar!
2,538 Posts
well say no to the throttle body spacer, lol they don't do anything. An intake of some sort is a good idea. I've heard of people having decent luck with ebay intakes. Theres one on there that actually comes with a k and n filter on the end for about 77 bucks shipped. I'm thinking about getting it. Then you have exhaust, maybe hi flow cat if youve never changed yours, its probably pretty plugged. Then straight pipes or hi flow muffler depending on how loud you want it. A tune up should up the mileage a little depending on the last time you did one.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Get an open air element, like an edelbrock proflow 1002 ($25). The stock air box is very restrictive, even with a drop in K&N it only flows about 500 cfm.
Get a magnaflow hi-flow cat setup ($150 shipped). Comes with all stainless steel y-pipe & high flow cat.
Get a set of decent headers, they range anywhere from $200 - $350 depending on what you get.
Even without the headers, the edelbrock air setup and the magnaflow exhaust setup will get you flowing a lot better and improve power as well as gas mileage.
And can be bolted on in less than 3 hours.

·
4x4, Straight pipe roar!
2,538 Posts
Just a thought but you can also get a magnaflow cat by itself for about 85 bucks. Thats without the y pipe though. Had a shop cut off my old one and weld in new one for 60 bucks.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts

·
02 R/T & 05 Ram
2,725 Posts
yes, they should actually help it. The problem is that most people can't keep their foot off the loud pedal, due to all the new-found power & sound :rck:

·
Registered
43 Posts
where can i get the Edelbrock ProFlow filter?

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
you can pick one up from the local parts house (autozone, Orielly's, etc) for about $25.
Edelbrock ProFlow 1002.
Make sure you fab an S bolt to install.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know this question is going to sound dumb, but I'm going to ask it anyway. I don't have a lot of knowledge about the K&N/Air Raid filters but would they work after adding the ProFlow?

·
An Army of One
1,227 Posts
MSD Ignition 6A

·
Banned
62 Posts
2_Brew_Crew said:
Hey everyone, I was wondering what upgrades would be best to use on my truck. I mean I've been looking across here the last few days for ideas and I've come across so many varying great ideas and I was wondering what would be best for the truck. I have an idea what I would like for the exterior of the truck but what I'm wondering what would be best to increase my horsepower along with my gas mileage. At one time the hp would of been the main key but after all the miles on this truck mpg is gonna have to be a consideration as well because they have fallen off some, but that's to be expected.

1994 Dodge Ram 1500
5.9L V8
234k+ miles
4x4 - though seldom used
Mostly rural roads and 4 lane highway driving around 50-60 mph

I was thinking a throttle body spacer, maybe Ram Air hood and K&N intake would help some but outside of taking the engine down porting it out and putting in a new cam what else can I do? Any help you guys can offer would be appreciated, and great forums. Not just for the Ram but for all the different models.

if you have 234k and that truck is still truckin'. I wouldn't do much to it. i would change the gear oil to mobil 1 and probably service the tranny, but other than that do whatever you have been doing.

do you have the stock exhaust still on your truck?

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
I know this question is going to sound dumb, but I'm going to ask it anyway. I don't have a lot of knowledge about the K&N/Air Raid filters but would they work after adding the ProFlow?
no, the ProFlow is an air intake setup itself.
See pic below.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dodgerulessa said:
if you have 234k and that truck is still truckin'. I wouldn't do much to it. i would change the gear oil to mobil 1 and probably service the tranny, but other than that do whatever you have been doing.

do you have the stock exhaust still on your truck?
Yeah still the stock exhaust, had to replace the alternator here a couple weeks ago and the tranny had to be replaced at around 170k. But otherwise everything else is still stock on it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've seen that filter in Jegs and other places, but does this require a saperate airhat or part of the stock one? Also not sure what you mean by an s bolt.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Post #19
I've seen that filter in Jegs and other places, but does this require a saperate airhat or part of the stock one? Also not sure what you mean by an s bolt.
You don't need any additional hardware. It replaces the stock air box assembly.

The 's' bolt is a piece of threaded rod that you need to bend into an s in order to align the hole for the throttle body with the hole for the mounting system of the air hat.
The Holley throttle body Mopar uses has the screw hole offset about 1/2" from the center of the throttle body.

The threaded rod can be had at any local hardware store, the air hat can be had at most local parts houses for less than $30.

I'll see if I can find a pic of the s-bolt I was referring to...

on these pics, you can see the s-bolt still in the old throttle body.
the last pic shows the mounting area of the air hat.
You will need to get a piece of 1/4 or 1/2 inch vacuum line tubing, split in the middle with a razor blade, and attach it to the air hat. Provides a better seal than the stock gasket.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.