DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ref.: '93 Dodge Spirit, 2.5L, K, 150,000 mls.

Help!

I'm receiving code 52 on a diagnostic scan. I'm aware that this means the oxygen sensor is stating that the engine has a sustained rich fuel condition.

What I would like to know is, "What's causing this?" map sensor? fuel injector thingy (single point injector system)? etc.?

The ground is solid to the oxygen sensor, and the wiring harness looks intact. Too, the vacuum lines seem to be in order.

Clearly, there is other evidence the engine is getting too much fuel, so my thoughts are that it is not the oxygen sensor itself.

I should further state that this began as an intermittent problem, and was rather infrequent. Now, though, the occurence is more on than off. And, just last night I noticed that the catalytic converter is getting hotter than normal, and the idle speed was accelerated.

As I pleaded, "Help!"

Thanks,
mike hill

·
Registered
10,824 Posts
well no matter what an oxygen sensors looks like does not mean it is bad. i would look at replacing it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
^ +1 to what he said...
Generally if you're getting an O2 sensor code, 99% of the time it IS the sensor that's faulty... Remember, on these cars, if the sensor goes, the car's computer will try to adjust for it by changing the way the engine runs... So the other issues you're noticing may be a result of the sensor going bad.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both jmw132001 & Chikan. While I'm not convinced at this point the oxygen sensor is bad, I think I can get a new one for about $40, and at least that solution will be outta the way. If I'm lucky that will be the source of my troubles, and if not I can move forward toward some other cause.

My initial difficulty with placing the car's erratic performance on the oxygen sensor is that most of what I have thus far read indicates that the sensor seldom goes bad, that the culprit is usually found elsewhere. Unfortunately, these materials don't off offer a viable "elsewhere" to which I may look. One source does indicate the likelihood of the map sensor, throttle positions sensor, or a vacuum canister leak. My car doesn't have a vacuum canister, and that's the only one this particular source offers a method to check.

Frankly, I getting silly about this car, especially since I have no reason to keep it, but I love the thing. I bought a relatively loaded new Ram 1500 Quad in 2002, and it sits garaged most of the time because I prefer to drive that ol' Spirit.

Anyway, thanks again for the insight. It has pushed me toward doing SOMETHING.

mike hill

·
Aka Force Fed Mopar
6,120 Posts
Well, first check for the obvious - dirty air filter, worn plugs or plug wires, leaky injector, etc. You could try another MAP but usually if they go bad you know it, because it will throw a code and put the computer into "limp-in" mode, lighting the check engine light up and running very rich and rough.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info about the MAP. I suppose I can now safely rule out that as my problem because the check engine light has never come on (yes, it does work, at least when the ignition is turned on), and the scans have consistently shown the MAP to be within normal ranges.

The other things you mentioned have been checked but for the injector thingy sitting on the throttle body. I am going to determine how to check that next. I'm not very brainy about this, but it seems to me if that was leaking, it would be continuously and not intermittently. Can't be sure, though, with my lack of knowledge.

I'm beginning to suspect that jmw132001 & Chikan were right about the oxygen sensor. After reading their comments I intended to replace that as a first step but just haven't gotten to it. Perhaps Monday. One thing: your comment, "...running very rich and rough" is exactly what the car is doing about 50% of the time. The other 50% it runs great.

Thanks again,
mike hill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.