DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey peoples , im new to these forums , and im hoping to solve a problem.

I have a 93 intrepid with issues .
3.3l v6 ES edition
It all started a year or 2 back .
At normal operating temperature , and while driving , the motor stalles out , cruise control goes on , tonight it died in the middle of an onramp wich was really fun to try to control.

At any rate , at first attempt a couple years back , the cam sensor was replaced . this made no difference . Next the crank sensor was replaced , and this took care of it for about the last year or so .

here it is , a year later , and it almost acts the same as it did before .
I took it into the garage and they disengaged the cruise control unit , thinking. This didnt do anything for it , as a matter of fact the cruise light is still going on and off .
then i was getting a mil code for 02 sensor , so i replace both of those , wich by the way is something very easy for just about anyone to do .
it got rid of all the codes , but still didnt get rid of the problems.
Next , I took it to the dodge dealership . the said some wiring cluster was shortin out on the steering rack , and replaced it . they also took care of the suspension and other shifter recall item at no charge .
got it back and same thing.
After getting it home tonight its getting a code 77 and 52 , the 52 is for an idle air control (AIC) wich has to do with idle air mixture , sometimes it idles a little messed up , wich would explain things , like start up and such . the other , a 77 is something to so with speed control relays .

Im thinkin one of 2 things , either the computer is finally almost toast , wich i hear usually around 150-160k miles go bad ......

OR ... the crank angle sensor is either shot or needs to be replaced again .

I really hate to have to get rid of the car , i love everything else about it ,and was actually planning on a ground effects body and all that , but not until i solve this first .

I have seen alot of post on the same exact issues with other intrepid owners on forums boards , but it seems stop posting after they figure it out , so anyone like me ,never finds out the SOLUTION to the problem .

If anyone has any info that may help , i would be very grateful .
this problem is starting to drive me nuts and cost me plenty trying to troubleshoot .

THANKS , Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i almost forgot , i recent picked up a fuel pressure gage and hooked it up to the rail , and all pressure checked out fine , wich pretty much rules out the fuel pump.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is anybody out there .
By the way , the dodge dealership has had it now for almost a month .
You would think a dealership could figure it out , they built the damn thing .

Please , someone reply .

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well, nt sure if I can help or not.
I had a similar problem on my 93.
Only it only stalled when it was stopped. Not while moving.
I would pull up to a light and then when I tried to go, I would notice it died.
If I did not press the gas, I would not have known it died.
It was once misdiagnosed as overheating and had both fans replaced, but problem continued. Next garage got it right by replacing the crank angle sensor.

My problem was the sensor, but if you have already fixed it, it is either something else, or a faulty sensor. Could try a new one and see if that helps.

If the garage has had it for a month, that sounds like a serious issue. Either with the car, or with the garage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It sounds a lot like my problem with my '96. Mine does it after it gets to normal temp when i try to slow below 25 mph. But the odd thing is that it only does it when it is cold! I also had the O2 codes and after replacing both my downstream sensors, got rid of the check engine light. But my car once again died today (15 F today) when i tried to make a turn. But now it didn't set off any check engine light or throw any codes at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well , 5 weeks now and dodge still has it .
I gave them the ok to go ahead and replace the crank senson with a FACTORY replacement . Last I talked to them , 2 mechs were taking the car out , one driver , and the other watchin the scan tool . Next thing i know they were back workin on it . Musta found something .

When I finally get to the bottom of this , Ill let everyone know the cause . Seems
alot of intrepids have similar issues .
Thanks for the replies , and ill let ya know .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sloved

950 bucks later , finally got to the problem ,

Ended up being an intake manifold gasket . They had 3 of their head mechanics go over the thing , and finnaly , it came down to this .

Anyone else experiencing weird issues , may try checking this out first.

Im planning on keeping it now , and givin her a fresh paint job this spring . :thatfunny

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i was wrong , its still messed up , only now i have 6 codes comin back , it smokes , and wont stay running .

Ilove this car ant want it running , but im about to take it out and shoot the mofo .

Made dodge bite the towing cost and sent it back in

·
Registered
94 Posts
tattfish said:
i was wrong , its still messed up , only now i have 6 codes comin back , it smokes , and wont stay running .

Ilove this car ant want it running , but im about to take it out and shoot the mofo .

Made dodge bite the towing cost and sent it back in
Sorry to hear the stain remains.

Problem with this is, if they fixed something that did need to be repaired, you are still on the hook for the bill. As long as it was a needed repair, and you okayed the work, even if it was not what you needed at the time, it may be someway related.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts