DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
PAID OFF!!!
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother just bought a 93 Cummins with the automatic transmission. I know it has the A727 torqueflight in it, but reading on the internet I noticed there was a 4 speed version as well as a 3 speed version.

The guy my brother bought it from said it is a 4 speed, but the OD is broke. I'm just wondering if it is actually the 3 speed and the seller, who is known to be an a$$, just lied to him.

Anyway to tell if it is the 3 or 4 speed? He wants to know because he wants an OD gear, and if it is the 4 speed, we will just rebuild it; but if it is the 3 speed, we will just bolt a 5 speed manual behind it.

Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
1993 should be a 3 speed with overdrive. Should be a button on the dash to kick it out of overdrive for when pulling loads up steep hills.

·
cummins geek, ask anythin
19 Posts
A 93 With an auto would definelty be the A-518, It's a 4 speed. 4th gear being overdrive. the O/D cancel button should be on the dash left of the radio.

An easy way to get O/D working is to hook a rocker switch up to it, you need to ground the Orange/green wire that's down on the trans, on the driver side of the trans in the wiring.

So basicly get a rocker switch or foot switch, Hook 1 end to your battery ground, and hook the other pole of the switch to the orange/green wire on the trans. Make sure you just clip the wire, you still want it hooked to the trans.

Pushing the switch will engage the overdrive. you have to manually turn off the overdrive though or it won't downshift.

OR you could buy this TPS delete kit, which lets YOU choose where you want overdrive to engage by turning the knob. This is the best way to go --- I've used them and I love the kits!! click link below

http://www.dnrcustoms.com/zen2/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=97

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.