DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every AM when turning ignition switch to start I get nothing. Turning to ON position, all is well, to the next detent..START..nothing:dunno:. I repeat this 3-4 times then it starts right up:bman:. Is the switch going bad?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would say it might be going bad. It could also be the starter solonoid. Are you hearing any clicking? If no clicking then it's probably the switch. Check all the related connections, both ground and plug-ins, first. There are a bunch of tiny contacts inside your switch that become worn, dirty, or corroded. How old is your van?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
93...no clicking noise just contact and immediate startup! the key is so worn it pulls right out of the cylinder when it should be locked in. After reviewing similar problems on other peoples post I thought I best start with this question and go from here.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
when you say "nothing" do you mean no action from the starter or absolutely nothing, i.e, no dash lights, radio etc. ?

if the answer is absolutely nothing, Then I see a new ingnition switch assembly in your future

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No action/click. However I do have dash lites ect. The starter doesn't turn at all. Then all of a sudden after 4 tries it starts up immediately....no cranking just fires up.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
with the help of an assistant and a test tight and or volt/ohm meter, see if you have any current getting to the starter solenoid

However, based on your description of how worn out the column switch is, I suggest strongly that you should replace it

·
Registered
194 Posts
LEE1416 said:
93...no clicking noise just contact and immediate startup! the key is so worn it pulls right out of the cylinder when it should be locked in...
Sounds like you need both the electrical switch and a new lock cylinder. You usually can have the new cylinder set to your existing key by a locksmith. It may also be possible to order the cylinder with the same key that was originally supplied by DC, it just costs money. I only do that if I am keeping the vehicle, because I hate dealing with multiple keys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.