DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This morning my Girlfreind was driving her car to work.She said it started pinging up a hill then 1/2 mile up the road she let off the gas to let a car go then the car shut off.Pulled over and it wouldn't restart.
I get there and turn the key on and there is no fuel pump sound in the tank.It turns over but no start.
So I try unplugging the fuel pump relay and jump from hot to the fuel pump wire and the pump starts running.So I go get a relay from the junkyard(1/2 mi up the road LOL).Put it in but same thing.
So with the new relay plugged in I try and jump from the main hot to the relay actuator and the relay clicks and the pump starts running.
With the pump relay jumpered we try and start the car but no start.It also seems like the relay clicks open then closed again while the key is being turned to start.
Well after a few atempts I start thinking I may have flooded it running the pump steady,so I unjumper the relay and hold the pedal to the floor and it fires right up.So I figure with no pump its gonna stall right out .............but it didn't and I drove it 5 miles home and it ran fine.
Tried it a few hours later after the rain stopped and the pump runs when the key is turned to on and it starts on one click??
What could cause this intermittent problem?My GF has to drive this car home form work late at night and i hate to have it die again.
Is there sensor that tells the relay when to open and close??
Any help is cool
THX
Sam

·
Registered
10,824 Posts
sounds like the relay itself is still not right. i would go buy a new relay and install it. that should take care of it. when you turn the key to on the position the fuel pump will turn on for only about 2 seconds and clicks right back off. that means it is working.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jmw132001 said:
when you turn the key to on the position the fuel pump will turn on for only about 2 seconds and clicks right back off. that means it is working.
Yes thats what it is doing the normal 2 second prime sound.And it starts right up.
I 'm just worried it is gonna die again befor I finger this out.

·
Registered
10,824 Posts
78 monte said:
Yes thats what it is doing the normal 2 second prime sound.And it starts right up.
I 'm just worried it is gonna die again befor I finger this out.
well, i would see how much a brand new relay is and buy a new one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I could try the relay outta my Shadow in it.to see MOney is tight and I can't really afford anything more than absolutly nessesary.

But heres the latest yesterday I took the car for a 40min ride it started right up and ran like a raped ape.My girlfriend took the car today and went over some railroad tracks and boom the car shut off and would not restart.We just called a tow truck now.
Somebody told me mopar of that era had an Auto Shutdown Relay,and that ground problems plagued them.
Any clue were to start troubleshooting that??

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If all else fails can I bypass the relay and wire the pump directly off a keyed hot wire? Or do these EFI piles need the pump to turn on and off depending on fuel pressure?
Also what body code is an Acclaim?? Auto zone has schematics but they are listed by body code.

·
Registered
10,824 Posts
78 monte said:
If all else fails can I bypass the relay and wire the pump directly off a keyed hot wire? Or do these EFI piles need the pump to turn on and off depending on fuel pressure?
Also what body code is an Acclaim?? Auto zone has schematics but they are listed by body code.
ok, i had a problem similar to this. under the drivers side piece of carpet toward the outer fender there is 2 wires grounded to the farme there. my cars fuel pump and different things would quit working and then sometimes it would. i found this ground and the wires were corroded. so i took a wire brush and done the wires and where it hooks and have had no problems since. if you want to see if that is causing the problem, take your foot and push around on the carpet on the drivers side toward the outside. while doing this try and start the vehicle. if it starts then that is the problem. good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.