DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Dodge Dakota 3.9v6 2wd
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a 92 2wd 3.9 extended cab and it has a few issues, the most concerning is a loud squeal that started early in the morning and by the end of the day it had became loud as could be even though I'd barely driven too and from work. It only happens when I'm slowing to a stop and I've just about got there or at a dead stop. It definitely sounds like it's coming from the engine bay somewhere but I can't figure out where. The second issue is when I'm slowing down and the truck goes to downshift from 3rd to 2nd it violently shutters for about 3 or 4 seconds and then goes back to normal, I bought this truck for a cheap price and I want to learn about auto repair using it but I'd appreciate any help finding a place to start.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Squealling - with the motor cold, take off the serpentine belt, and spin everything you can that was on it. I'll bet you've got a tensioner or idler bearing going bad; I'd do new belt and new tensioner and idler both, but it's not my money. Plus, it might not be either one. But by spinning each one, you should be able to determine which bearing is squalling, or if it's just the belt slipping.

Shudder - What does the transmission fluid look and smell like? Nice and read and normal? Or dark, dirty, and burnt? I'd pick up the factory service manual, and if the fluid isn't too burnt or dirty looking, consider a fluid and filter replacement, along with a band adjustment.

If it IS dirty and burnt looking and smelling, I'd just plan on rebuilding the transmission - it'll be a 42RH, but the steps that are covered in, say, the TransmissionBench.COM YouTubes for the 46RE will be the same (the parts are different, the plugs are a bit different, etc.; but the STEPS are the same.) Again, I'd be sure to have that factory service manual to hand.

RwP

·
Registered
1992 Dodge Dakota 3.9v6 2wd
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Squealling - with the motor cold, take off the serpentine belt, and spin everything you can that was on it. I'll bet you've got a tensioner or idler bearing going bad; I'd do new belt and new tensioner and idler both, but it's not my money. Plus, it might not be either one. But by spinning each one, you should be able to determine which bearing is squalling, or if it's just the belt slipping.

Shudder - What does the transmission fluid look and smell like? Nice and read and normal? Or dark, dirty, and burnt? I'd pick up the factory service manual, and if the fluid isn't too burnt or dirty looking, consider a fluid and filter replacement, along with a band adjustment.

If it IS dirty and burnt looking and smelling, I'd just plan on rebuilding the transmission - it'll be a 42RH, but the steps that are covered in, say, the TransmissionBench.COM YouTubes for the 46RE will be the same (the parts are different, the plugs are a bit different, etc.; but the STEPS are the same.) Again, I'd be sure to have that factory service manual to hand.

RwP
I'll have to get ahold of my more mechanically smart buddy's to help me out but I'll definitely check it out, hopefully it is just belts or the tensioner and I don't have to dabble in the transmission lol thank you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts