DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 1990 B350 has spark some times and other times it just turns over. someone mentioned a resistor. It doesn't get juice to coil when not working. thanks

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Sounds like a problem with the pickup module inside the distributor. Be sure and check all the connections at the computer as well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks but i'm not even getting anything to coil then it will work for no reason. if the coil isn't getting juice then the dist. not getting anything?

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Let me ask you this...when cranking the engine over and there isn't any spark, do the fuel injectors pulse? Are you getting fuel?

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
The reason I ask is because there is an ASD relay (Auto-Shutdown Relay) under the hood that supplies power to the coil, fuel injectors and O2 sensor. This relay can go bad and cause the symptoms you are describing.

The pickup module or Hall Effect sensor in the distributor reads the position of the engine and sends a pulse back to the SBEC (Single Board Engine Computer) which will control spark advance. However if the Hall Effect sensor is bad, then you won't get spark from the coil.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'm going to replace the asd relay and the hall effect deal. i can't think of what else it could be because it is only happening some time.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
It's under the hood on the firewall...kinda near the brake booster. Here's a pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
spark at coil

i changed the hall effect sensor(pickup) in the distributor(it couldn't of been easier) and so far so good. it started right up... thanks and i'll let you know if it starts back up but your help has saved the day :rck: i've been driving all day and no problems, thank god cause it's 90 here in seattle... i think i got this one licked... :gr_patrio

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.