DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help: It's a 318 Ram van. The current situation is voltage at the injectors, but no fuel. I hear the pump run when the key is turned on. First indication of trouble was no action when the key turned, then it died when going in to gear a couple of times and was hard to start, then just turning over w/o starting. Couple of weeks later, new plugs dist. cap, rotor and fuel filter, still no fuel at the injector despite voltage there when cranking. No engine codes discovered.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Are the injectors pulsing?

If possible to a fuel pressure test. I don't think the TBI systems have a test port for a gauge so, you'll have to hook a gauge inline with the fuel lines coming into the throttle body.

Here's what may sound like a dumb question....are you positive there is plenty of gas in the tank?

I don't have a service manual handy for an '89 van for pressure values and such.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fuel in tank question not dumb. The guage is reliable and shows 3/4.

There is a pulse at the injectors. Once, while working on it, somehow I got a spray, then it started, but not since.

Today I blew through the fuel line to the filter, so it's clear. I disconnected lines between filter and tank while cranking. Nothing came out, but I don't know if the pump will pump that way. The computer is smarter than me.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Ah...the pump should be pumping even while starting, but I wouldn't blame the pump just yet. What were you doing when you got the injectors to spray?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish I knew. It's like it just decided to work. I had the injector caps off testing for voltage, I got voltage, put the caps back on to test, then voila! Gas spray. It started, ran for a few. I shut it off and it hasn't started since.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
I'm thinking you could have a problem with the Start-Run relay (aka auto-shutdown relay) located under the hood. This relay is in the circuit for the fuel injectors and fuel pump. Here's a picture of one....they're cheap. Without getting into some heavy diagnostics, go ahead and replace it.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, haven't found the ASD. I've found three relays under the hood. None of them match the wire codes for the ASD in the manual (Chilton's & Haynes.) A trip to Pep Boys netted a relay like I haven't seen on this van. Apparently my van was in a transition stage, I think 88, 89 Dodge went to the TBI. Pep Boys say there's a little black box under the hood with three three similar relays, all function the same. I have not found a black box besides the computer box, and this ain't what they described. And the relay they would sell me won't fit anything I have seen on my van, nor is it like the one in your post, although I have seen three similar to it. Good thing I have something else to drive, but I sure love that van. I also have a 79 Voyager maxi-van, very easy to work on, although most parts stores insist this vehicle was never made. Thanks for your help!

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
That's the problem with Chilton's and Haynes...they're too general and not specific. You should get a factory service manual for your van. This will definitely have the diagrams and schematics you need. They're worth every penny.

Ah yes the famous full-size Plymouth Voyager (PB-series) The earlier Voyagers had a grill unlike Dodge's...It had PLYMOUTH spelled out in the grill, not on the hood.

I'm trying to rack my brain to help you through this.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Pull the negative battery cable off for a couple of minutes, then re-attach, try to start and then check codes and see if a code 11 comes up. If the distributor pick-up asm goes bad(code 11) or intermittent it will shut down the ASD circuit. In 89 the ASD relay may also be called the fuel pump relay. Make sure the electrical caps on top the injectors are making good contact with the injectors themselves. Will the engine fire up with a small shot of starting fluid?
Do you have a relay setup like this picture?

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The diagram in your post is close. There are three relays visible. The most important one, the small one cannot be found. To make matters worse, the wire colors of each relay match none I have found in my manuals.

I did as you suggested, disconnect neg. cable for a few, tried to start (nothing), then checked for codes. None.

Yes, with manual priming, the engine will try to start, then nothing again.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Hmmmm..that diagram is somehwat generic but very close. See if any of the relays have the color coded wires referred to in this test.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Located the ASD relay (with the help of fresh eyes) and performed the test in your post. Unfortunately (I think) the ASD is functioning. Wondering what to check next. The Hall Effect?

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
You are getting spark as you remarked it will try to start if primed, than you need to find the fuel pump wires and see if voltage is present at the pump. You could have a bad pump and it's frozen up? Try giving your gas tank a couple of taps with your hand and see if it starts. I'll bet you can no longer hear the pump run for 2 or 3 seconds when you turn the key to "on"??

If you are getting spark than the hall effect should be ok.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
This is the fuel pump wiring for a 89 Truck or Ramcharger...I'm not sure if the van is exactly like thi but at least its something to look at. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Checked voltage at the fuel tank. A few seconds when turning the key to "on" and continuous while cranking. I no longer hear the pump running though. Looks as though I'm gonna have to drop the fuel tank this weekend.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
redvan said:
Checked voltage at the fuel tank. A few seconds when turning the key to "on" and continuous while cranking. I no longer hear the pump running though. Looks as though I'm gonna have to drop the fuel tank this weekend.
Thats the way the voltage should be...the SMEC will energize the pump for 2 to 3 seconds when the key is turned to the "on" position and then will drop the voltage if it sees NO pulses from the distributor. So when you went to "start" the SMEC was seeing pulses and energizes the Z1 circuit and the fuel pump.

·
Registered
313 Posts
try unplugging the coolant sensor next to theromostat neck

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks. I have put off dropping the fuel tank, procrastination, or the dread of dropping the hitch that was so hard to get on. I'll try unplugging that sensor this evening.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.