DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to buy gears and put them in myself, but not sure if it's too much for me. I have done a lot of work on this truck & my 2000 Dodge Ram, but not a rearend. I haul a trailer with this truck, so I thought maybe I should put 4:10 or 3:90 ratio gears in. To buy a used rearend & throw it in, it would be hard to find the 3:90 and impossible to find the 4:10. So far all I'm finding is 3:55 rearends. Do I go with the 3:55 used rearend for $200 or buy 4:10 gears and figure out how to put them into my existing housing for about $150 <heard something about setting shims & a tolerance level, hmmm>? Time is limited so I need to do what will be the quickest fix. When looking at the rearend it looks like the gears fit right in & there's no room for adjustment, but maybe I'm wrong. Please help!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Go with the 3.55 used rear and put it in yourself for several reasons.

1. If you haven't set up rear end gears before then you would likely wind up having to pay someone to do it.

2. You mentioned towing- if you have o/d trans then you really can't tow much weight with it in o/d gear as the clutch pack in the o/d unit is a weak link, so better off towing in D and 3.55 gears make for less rpm than 4.10 considering this.

3. If you don't have o/d trans then rpms will be at a more liveble/streetable range w/ 3.55.

Just my 2 cents...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.