DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a strong vibration with slight to moderate acceleration at speeds of 50ish and above. Such as when entering a freeway. u joints look ok. I believe my truck has A999 trans w/lock up converter. Also shifts hard into D and R most times with a clang like bad u joint. This truck is new to me. Last time I had this problem I dropped my drive shaft on an old ford 20 yrs ago.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Could be bad tires, driveshaft out of balance, or u-joint. The clang when putting in gear, common thing- lots of play between crown and pinion gears in the rear end. Dodge trannys engage at high pressure, thus the "clang". Welcome to the world of Dodge!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Thanks for the replies. How do you check u-joints I jacked up the truck absolutely no noticable play in them. Rear end does seem to have a bit. I would think there would be a constant vibration at certain speeds if it were a drive shaft or tires out of bal. Dosen't happen all the time. Can let off the gas and push right back down and then it isn't there. Strange to me.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Is the tranny shifting properly? Maybe your torque converter is locking or staying locked-up at the wrong time. When was the tranny filter/fluid changed last? U-joints- basically hold the yoke with one hand, and twist the drive shaft with the other, looking for movement between the the cup and the cross. Is there lots of slop at the tranny where the slip yoke enters? May need a bushing too. Also, may want to check the engine and trans mounts for seperation- literally try to pull the apart with a bar.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks zerko, there is alot of slop at the tranny. I'll investgate this farther. The truck has 69000 on it. I just bought it on an auction so I know little about it. I saw in other treads that changing fluid now might cause more problems. I know little about this lockup converter. Is there any way to check it out or should I take it to the shop?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.