DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 B350 360cid 15 Passenger
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
89 B350 with 3600 lb Front Axles - integrated hub/rotor , 8 Lug Wheels
Can anyone share the torque specs for the following items , please.

Caliper retaining bolts - the calipers are the type that just use 2 bolts each - with hold-down plates on top.

Caliper Hose - where the hose bolts to the caliper

Sway Bar Frame Brackets
Sway Bar End Links

Front Shocks - Upper and Lower
Rear Shocks - Upper and Lower (single rear wheels - 9.25 axle - 8 lug wheels)

Thank you in advance !
Predicting someone might tell me to buy a service manual ... and i will - eventually. Van is going to be a Keeper
Already tried Googles too

New Member , just joined today
Bought the Van a few weeks ago.
Been going through it doing long term maintenance and detailing the chassis/underneath as i go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
89 B350.jpg

Here is what it looked like when purchased.
Exterior is the color of masking tape, Interior is the color of cardboard. lol
Factory paint, no rust except for damage from a battery being left in it while it sat for a number of years.
Front & Rear HVAC, Cruise, Tilt, Digital AM-FM Cassette 4 speaker, Delay Wipers, Underhood Reel-Out Light, Chrome Bumpers and Side Trim. Single rear door.

I bought a replacement 15" hubcap and 16" adapter ring that were missing.
Removed the aluminum running boards
Eventually will do an exterior color change / repaint. Maybe two-tone, blue&white or green&white

·
Registered
303 Posts
Join the modern world and find the factory service manual on CD ROM. Never leave greasy paw prints on the pages.

Good luck with it. Find a spare ECM ASAP. New or rebuilt. They’re going to get hard to find. Mopar quit selling them.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the well wishes , and advice on the ECM.

My modern world is pretty pitiful, laptop won't hardly ever recognize a disc anymore.
CD Version and Paper Version are about same price on eBay.
But the wait for arrival is about 7-10 days, either version.
The work is all done and i need to get on the road with it to see if i have missed anything else that needs attention - instead of waiting another week-plus for a manual.

If no help here, will just wing it on the torque settings for now and hit the road.
Really thought a quick google search would produce most or all of them.
But not even extensive searches have produced anything on this series of van.

Mostly i am curious/concerned about the brake caliper bolts torque.
Up to a certain amount of tightening - the secondary rattle clip will stay stationary and uniform on the primary slider clip (clip that holds caliper down).
Has me wondering if that is a built-in indicator of proper tightness.
Going tighter makes the secondary clip turn out of uniformity and it is almost impossible to keep it wedged in uniform sequence without it wanting to bend - if you get pretty tight.

So, i'm worried if i go with the lesser tightness - caliper might "jump up" sometimes. idunno
Go for the tighter range - might be too much resistance for optimum operation.
everything is fun and games until you have to spend double/triple doing it twice

Here is an illustrative picture from internet of a similar dodge truck caliper set-up.
This one has been tightened beyond the point of uniform alignment of the secondary rattle clip. Can see it has "cocked" more to one side.

Brake Caliper 2.jpg

Not worried about the rattle clip itself , it just keeps some downforce on top of the inner brake pad. And it will still do that in either position - with proper tweaking.
Just don't want to overlook the possibility of it being an indicator of correct torque , or over-torque. It could be engineered that way.

The FSM might not even address caliper bolt torque for this arrangement.
ANY 86-93 FSM should give the info i need - if it is even covered at all.
Much Thanks to anyone who can verify
By Thursday evening i will just wing it with the lesser torque where the secondary clip will stay in uniform alignment.

The sway bar torque values i found (for a newer model van) seem too weak.
200 INCH lbs at frame bracket
100 INCH lbs at end links

Front Shocks (newer model van) seem okay maybe
25 ft lbs Top Nut
17 ft lbs Lower Bolts

·
Registered
9 Posts
A trick with the clip is to have it off centre to start so it’s centred when tight. The thing with this style of brakes that’ll drive you mad is the rattling pads over rough road, it’ll go away if you ride the brake pedal. To keep them quiet some sets come with rubber bands to take up the slack, but they tend to fail quickly. I find that glueing them to the caliper with high temp silicone works best/longest.
Well done on the find

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Junkpile, i was glad to find a B350 with the extra long body.
Removed all the rear seats and going to use it for hauling stuff back and forth on the weekends at flea market.

I staked the outer pads nice and tight to the calipers by bending the tabs/ears.
Copper anti-seize before the final fitment, on caliper backrest sections.

Inner pads have silicone brake grease sticking them to the pistons.
Its real tacky stuff - for grease.
All the usual places got the silicone grease too.

Calipers are AC-Delco reman'd with Phenolic Pistons. Even though i was expecting them to be metal pistons by the RockAuto pics. Pass side was actually a New Caliper (somehow or another) with anti-corrosive coating. Driver side was a sub-par core that was rebuilt (more previous corrosion evidence on the machined flats than i would have desired). But it should be okay enough. No coating - as expected.
Would have gladly paid an extra amount to get a matching new driver side to match the new pass side caliper they sent - but that was just a fluke accident i am sure.
They didn't offer any new ones in the listings.

New Raybestos caliper hoses both sides. Thankful for that miracle.
CarbonFiber-Ceramic Extreme Duty Truck&Tow pads.
New Bearings and Seals with Valvoline Synthetic Grease
Turned the rotors at O'Reilly's and have my fingers crossed they did good enough on them. :unsure:

Sealed the bearing dust caps with a bead of high temp silicone.

·
Registered
303 Posts
To add to Junkpile’s vast knowledge honed by years of Dodge repairs I’ll say that you need to have a friend stand on the brake pedal while you beat the ears of the the pads over the edge of the caliper with a large hammer. They won’t stay tight forever on gravel , but at least you’ll get some rattle free miles.

Remember beat and large hammer are your ears’ friends.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
... have a friend stand on the brake pedal while you beat the ears of the the pads over the edge of the caliper with a large hammer.
They won’t stay tight forever on gravel , but at least you’ll get some rattle free miles.
Remember beat and large hammer are your ears’ friends.
That would work good too - if i had any friends close by, or a neighbor.
The ears were over 1/2" away from making any contact , knew that wasn't going to be good.
Used the anvil of my vice and beat them down until they were a tight force fit to get them onto the caliper. The caliper being in hand (uninstalled) made it easy to test fit.

Dug deeper into the tool chest today and found a small pry-bar that wedged in like a charm and wide enough to keep the anti-rattle clips about perfectly uniform while tightening down the calipers.

Will try to bleed everything tomorrow with a Mighty-Vac.
Probably end up having to make some calls and bribe someone to come be a pedal pumper to get them bled right. The mighty-vac doesn't always work out 100% .
Sometimes it doesn't work well at all for bleeding brakes.
Does a great job priming diesel fuel systems though.

My thanks to you and Junkpile for the tips and advice.
I'm sure there will be many more tips and advice needed as i go along with this beast.

·
Registered
283 Posts
An old engineer mate of mine said on this subject, when I asked him, "They only have to be tight enough to not come undone."

I couldn't find that gauge on any torque wrench so I generally 'wing it' with pretty much everything like this.

Sing out when you want tips on fitting an NV4500.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts