DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there I have recently come by a 1989 Dakota 4x4 with the 3.9litre engine at my work just sitting in the weeds. Right now I drive a 2001 2wd and get stuck all the time. I want something with 4x4 for work and snow and just to play around with. When I hooked up for a jump-start (Batt. is dead) the starter just free-wheeled and wouldn't turn-over engine.
Could someone please tell me what is wrong? I'm guessing it's either a bad starter or the starter gear is no good.
Thanks alot!

Luke Sipple

· WrenchRat
7 Posts
There are several things that could be the problem....
1. the bendix gear could have broken in the starter.
2. the fly wheel could be missing a few teeth and the starter cannot enguage.
3. Starter bolts may not be tight or the starter could be missaligned.
hope this helps

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya that gives me a few things to look for when I get it home. Thanks alot.

Also, I have a few questions about the 3.9 to 5.2 engine swap. I plan on pulling my fishing boat with this beast and doing a little offroading; so I think a V8 would suit me much better. How do you find a 5.2 to put in? Junkyards?
And what all needs to be brought with from the old engine to make it work in the new truck? I also heard that you need an electronic fan because there isn't enough room for the belt driven one?

THANKS!

· Do It In A Van
8,067 Posts
Best thing to do is find a low mileage donor truck and pick and pull everything from it (ie. Radiator, mounts, harness, computer, transmission...everything!)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.