DodgeTalk Forum banner

101 - 104 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
First thing I needed to do was get the old CD player out and take the dash bezel out and start mocking up things.

That metal bracket was some sort of support to the factory head unit and was just in the way. The old dodge factory harness adapters were cut off the CD players pigtail and soldered to the new kenwoods wiring harness. Amazingly the colors actually matched for the adapter harness to the kenwoods so that made it easier. I tested it before wrapping up.

A while back I had picked up an extra gauge cluster. The thought was to do white face gauges and LEDs and be able to swap back to the original if I didn’t like it. That cluster needed to be taken apart to put the LMC white decal kit on.

While in there I repainted the needles and repaired the broken shift indicator with superglue and a painted toothpick tip. Green LEDs went into all the bulb holders that light up the cluster. Installed and working it’s a difference for sure but will have to see if I’m going to keep it that way.

You can see the top picture where I had the head units mic mounted on the steering column.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
After eye balling things I saw that the kenwood would be best suited as far to right as possible for better sight and clearance. As much as I wanted to square the cut marks to the bezel it is off set to the right on purpose.

I cut this with a dremel and small wheel being as careful as possible. Lining this and the kenwoods cage up shows where needed to be trimmed in the dash.

The AC controls were disconnected and dropped down to the old CD players spot. That arm comming off the gauge cluster and the 2 parts where the AC controls mount are the only spots that need to be cut.

To make these cuts I used a small hack saw. Now with the dash bezel back on and the cage installed it is a very secure mount. Originally I was thinking I was going to have to make support brackets but the cage is supported by those bottom corners now and the unit is so light as well I don’t think it’s needed.

Pic above is testing the lights and stereo even tho it’s not on everything seemed good. Checked clearance at the back and the rca plugs comming out the rear of the head unit are just touching the vent back there so no modifications to the duct work needed. I also swapped out the AC/heater controls light for a white LED.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
The AC / heater controls are a pain to move as the blend controls are connected by a hard line cable/sleeve that doesn’t have much play. Supporting it is needed for sure as this cable adds stress to its new home. With a lot of test fitting and eyeballing I came up with these fairly simple L brackets mounted to the inside parts of the dash. Those parts of the dash are pretty thick and structural. There are 2 screws attaching them to the dash and some machine screws and nuts in the factory mounting holes. I tried to place it in the middle of the single din spot and at the bottom with the idea that would be the best way to be able to make a clean looking cover plate to go in the old CD players opening thats still exposed.

I forgot to mention the stereo sounds awesome with the limited testing I’ve done. Now the dash is nearing completion some of the other wiring needs to be sorted so I can leave this unit installed. Mic / antenna/ rear camera wires / sub rca/ iPhone all get hooked up. An easy way to bypass the parking brake wire is to ground it to the unit itself - this unlocks any lockout features. The reverse wire will get connected to the reverse lights to trigger the ( not installed) rear camera when truck gear goes into reverse.

One cool thing I noticed when doing the console wiring work was the factory usb line comming from the top part of the console box still was there and unused. The 11 Durango’s console has a 2 part opening. One small section in the top with the female USB port for your phone and a deeper second part for other larger stuff. The console has a dual type handle to open it depending on what section you want to open. I had to use a usb to mini usb line to connect it to the kenwoods line but now the carplay/ phone connection works from the consoles factory spot.

Note the white line connected to the usb end of the kenwood and the mini end going to Durango’s console grey line/ connector. I also notched out a spot in the bottom of the console for each seats wiring harness and secured it better for each side. This shows the console now about finished hopefully with Sub wiring hooked up too routed out the passenger notch.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
This is the location of the phone connection. An iPhone 11 is almost too big for it but I didn’t notice until now it has a factory notch on the passenger side for the cable to come out and not get pinched when closed. Phone sits in a cup holder pretty nicely.

Finished cutting the last piece of the abs plastic I had. Tried to get straight lines with the dremel again taking my time. Sanded the edges to smooth them off.

I’m happy with result even tho the texture doesn’t match the rest of the dash. From the drivers position it looks good. Camera shots up close actually show the flaws in the dash a lot more than in person.

A few shots with the lights on during the day. I didn’t move the tach as I was getting sick of re wiring and couldn’t find a new spot for it I liked. The reverse camera got wired up but I made the mistake and only ran the rca and reverse trigger wire to the back. For some reason I thought I’d be able to find an acc hot wire back there but didn’t. Tapped the cameras power wire into a power wire for the lights. So reverse cam only comes on with the lights on . I’ll fix this and maybe re do the tach another day. Installed the drivers seat and took it for a test drive. First thing I noticed was the sound difference. I did some sound level tests with an app on my phone before and after. Before at idle I was averaging 80 db / 2k rpm around 85 db / stomping on it spiking into the 90s. Now it’s around 45 db at idle / 55 db at 2k and 65 db at WOT. Much more of a sound difference than I was expecting. The stereo is awesome just need to fine tune some settings and the hands free phone system works well. Looks like my fuel gauge isn’t working , I can only assume it’s the gauge itself as the other cluster worked fine. I wonder if it’s a wiring issue like a difference in the gauge cluster between the years.

101 - 104 of 104 Posts