DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After driving for a while if i shut my 87 van with 318 engine off it wont restart until it cools for around 10 minutes autozone worker swears its a ignition module but i cant find one.my buddy says its the ignition coil that is bad.that the module is inside the computer?can someone please help

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
Only if it has a factory carb will you find an ignition module.. All fuel injected models have a Computer controled ignition, it's on the firewall and also controls the fuel injection system and contains the voltage regulator as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so there is a module.is it possible for it to be behind the a c unit?i have looked all over the firewall and have had no luck finding it.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Even on carbed models there is an ESA (Electronic Spark Advance) unit mounted on the firewall..kinda in the center. Will look like this.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So do i have to replace electronic spark advance or try the ignition coil?maybe i should take it to a mechanic i was just trying to save some money by doing it myself.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Well...either one can be affected by heat causing failure. Those ESA units were notorious for failing, but then again yours could be fine.

Without getting into testing, go ahead and replace the coil first since they're cheap and see what happens. If you still have the problem, then taking it to a mechanic might be a good idea. They should be able to perform the proper tests.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much i checked prices for both.16 dollars for the coil and around 88 for the esa i will try the cheaper rout first but i think you have just saved me a bit of money by not having to take it to a mechanic thanks again.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
$88 for the ESA is a darn good price. Wow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got the van fixed turns out it was the starter even though its only been on for 9 months i took it off and had it tested it passed auto zones tester but the guy said it didnt sound right since i bought the life time warranty when i purchased the starter he just gave me a new one put it on problem solved

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
Never thought of the heat soaked starter. Glad to here it's up and running.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Good deal!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.