DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Jim
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i have an 87 d150 that starts fine when cold, but when warm it has to crank a bunch before it starts. I've checked the timing, replaced everything possible on the ignition system including the spark control computer. it still does it. this is a carry over from the 318 that was in it, now i have a 360 with aluminum intake and 4bbl carb, still the same thing.
ANY SUGGESTIONS? This has been going on for 3 years now.
Jim

·
Aka Force Fed Mopar
6,120 Posts
Sounds like a fuel pump problem. Or a dirty filter.

·
Registered
381 Posts
When you say "hot", what does that mean exactly?

If it starts immediately when it has been sitting something less than 5-10 minutes, but starts hard when it's been 15-30 minutes, I'd suspect your carb is percolating and overflowing into the manifold. If you don't have a thick, fiber gasket under the carb, you get a lot of heat transfer from the manifold.

If it starts hard even if it's been off only a couple of minutes, it could be lots of things and if my first suggestion isn't applicable, give some more detail and we can go from there.

FWIW, most states now add 10% Ethanol to the gas, and that makes for harder starting with carbureted engines, both hot and cold.

·
Mopar Madness - Get it...
4,032 Posts
When you say "spark control computer".... Do you mean, one of those 'Lean Burn' hunks of garbage? Bolted to the side of the air cleaner?

If so, (Not only would I not trust it to work right) there could be other factors into why it's not working right.....

·
1977 Power Wagon Utiline
347 Posts
If you've got the lean burn system, basically you've got 2 icm's one "standard" looking and the other depending on the year most of the ones I've seen have a kind of orange colored unit on the fender with 2 or 3 wired going to it and looks more like a vr than an icm and then of course you've got the lean brn unit on the air cleaner housing (like bherder stated). Either way I say chuck em and get the MOPAR Performance distributor and module kit. It makes getting rid of the pain in butt bs very easy.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Sounds like vapor lock to me.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I gotta agree w/ most of the above, its carb related....I also drive an 87 D150, but completely stock, w/ the org. 2 bbl. carb...It also is touchy to start when hot.......If I pump the gas, when hot, she is hard starting, but If I just hit the ign. switch, and not touch the gas, she cranks up on the first couple revs.,, Course, this varys with the amount of time it sits, after being hot (operating temp.)........Id try to just turn the ign switch, and try keeping your foot off the acel. pedal next time, to see it that helps.......

·
Jim
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
'87 hard start

those are exactly the symptoms and i don't have a thick fiber gasket under the carb, but i will before the day is out. it also smells like it's flooding when this happens so that has to be it, i hope.
thanks so much,
Jim

·
Jim
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
'87 hard start

where would i get that ignition kit? that would probably take care of my pre-detination problem as well.
thanks,
Jim

·
1977 Power Wagon Utiline
347 Posts
rivy68 said:
where would i get that ignition kit? that would probably take care of my pre-detination problem as well.
thanks,
Jim
Summit sells them and you can also get them from your local Mopar dealership.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I also agree it's carb related. But thing i would check is after you shut it down after running it for a while ,,,, After shut down remove the air cleaner. Check to see if there are any fuel vapors escaping out the top of the carb. If there is it is a sign of the needle and seat in the carb leaking and it is leaking into the manifold causing something similar to a flooding out condition. which is why it is taking alot longer to fire up.

I haD A 73 CONCOURS RESTORED RALLYSPORT CHALLENGER 340 4 SPD THAT DID THE SAME THING. ( oops sorry about the caps ) I ended up in the long run just putting a eldebrock (spelling ) 625 cfm on it for the driving and swaped it back to the pos for the shows.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.