DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys/gals. I have a one owner 86 d-100 custom with 318. I was pulling my lawn equip prolly 1200lbs and was at a light. When the light changed I got about 100 or so yards and heard a thunk, then it was like you threw the trans in neutral so I rolled to a safe place. Got out and saw the drive shaft was still in place and looked fine. So then I got back in and tried it in all gears when I got to rev it would back up fine but no forward gear. The truck has been nothing but a joy to have.

ANY idea's?

·
Registered
2 Posts
better pull the pan,and see what waits for you in there!Mine did the same thing about a year ago,only I lost reverse but had all forward gears,so I sent the trans to a shop he said that the reverse band had broken and fell down into the pan and that the valve body had somehow cracked very badly!good luck!

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
If this truck is a daily driver and you plan on keeping the truck, I don't recommend a used transmission. You just don't know what your getting. At least having your rebuilt, you get a warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
VANMAN

Yes its my work truck. I got it from the orig owner last year with 130,000 miles really well kept. He was an ole guy prolly in his 70s and said he rarely drove it over 65 and I haven't gone over 60 in it myself. The truck drives great and runs like a top, I will be using it to pull a landscape trailer this summer which is about 2200lbs and my boat about 1400lbs. I believe it to be a 4spd auto but the 4th gear is very slight when it goes into gear at around 40mph or so. I suppose it could even be a 3spd. Quite honestly I know very little about engine/trans combo's in these but wish I could get greater MPG. If I were to go to an auto parts store and got a reman which would best fit my bill in light duty towing and mpg? Also how would I check to see what one I have to pass on proper information when talking to parts houses and trans shops, vin or stamp on the trans?

Thanks again

·
Registered
2 Posts
have it rebuilt,if the problem is that serious,maybe look into a shift kit for the trans while it is being rebuilt,a tranny cooler would probably be good to if you are pulling a trailer. :)

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
It is a 3 speed with a lock up converter which feels like a fourth gear when it locks up. :gr_patrio

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok well can you put a 4spd tranny in place of this one, if so which mod do I ask for. IF it can be done with no other mods?

THANKS GUYS, I gotta get this thing making me money again.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Yes....the A-518 (46RH) will fit in your truck, but it's a little longer so you'd have to have your transmission shortened and the OD swith has to be wired in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.