DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The column shift lever on my '86 is kinda loose and sloppy; you can't tell by looking exactly what 'gear' it's in; have to fiddle with it to find the right place before it will start (not always the same place); sometimes won't go into 'Park' all the way. Seems like it's slipped out of synch. Anyone have any suggestions on how to correct this? I'm assuming I'll have to pull the steering wheel and get into the column, but then what?

Thanks ...

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
You may not have to pull the steering wheel. The gear shifter mechanism selects gears on the transmission via linkages, and not a cable like some vehicles. Those linkages have plastic and/or rubber bushings to keep everything tight and working properly. What may have happened in your case is that some of those bushing have either broken or disintegrated over the years. You can access the shifter linkage from underneath...then you'll be able to see what I'm referring to.

Here's a picture of the linkage and the procedure to adjust....it's from an '85 manual, but it should be the same for '86.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mahalo!

Yo Nate, you da bes' ... any recommendations on where to find the replacement parts? Resources out here in the islands are limited, but I'm in love with this beast, got to fix him up.

TIA

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
IslandLady said:
Yo Nate, you da bes' ... any recommendations on where to find the replacement parts? Resources out here in the islands are limited, but I'm in love with this beast, got to fix him up.

TIA
Don't search anywhere...go right to the Dodge dealer and order them. You will pay a little more but will search alot less. He may even stock them. Here are the part numbers and quanities you need. :D

3467800 qty2 BUSHING, Torque Shaft
3575333 qty4 GROMMET, Control Rod, Frt. and Rr.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mahalo!

Chump, many thanks! I'll go harass the "local" Dodge dealer (only 50 miles away) next time I come down off the mountain. The part numbers will be a great help!
:cheers:

Mahalo nui loa ...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.