DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mopar Or No Car!
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im thinking of replacing the carb and intake on my 85 360. I havent looked yet but im assuming it has an egr valve. Im looking at the summit combos with the edlebrock 600 carb and performer intake. Would i be able to just throw these on (non egr type) my truck and not worry about the egr? Or will this not work for my truck? I wonder if they would give me trouble at inspection? Or should i just replace the carb with another crappy stocker quadrajunk? TIA

Btw im thinking of this package;
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM-CEDL007&view=1&N=700+150+150

·
Mopar Or No Car!
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah i forgot to ask about the manual choke on these. Is that what mine has stock on it or was it electric? How do i tell? Whats the difference-do i need to run a cable for the manual?? That would suck.

·
1977 Power Wagon Utiline
347 Posts
Yes you can put a manifold that isn't EGR equipped on a previously EGR equipped vehicle. Yes your truck does have an EGR. As for vehicle inspection I don't know how strict emission laws are in your neck of the woods. EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation which basically means the exhaust gases are supposed to be burned twice, in theory. Personally don't get the Edelbrock manifold (my experience the mounting holes didn't line up). You might be lucky enough to have an electric choke on your Mopar or it might be thermal. Look for a wire going to the choke and if the choke is mounted on the carb. or in the manifold.

·
Mopar Or No Car!
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
77Utiline said:
Yes you can put a manifold that isn't EGR equipped on a previously EGR equipped vehicle. Yes your truck does have an EGR. As for vehicle inspection I don't know how strict emission laws are in your neck of the woods. EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation which basically means the exhaust gases are supposed to be burned twice, in theory. Personally don't get the Edelbrock manifold (my experience the mounting holes didn't line up). You might be lucky enough to have an electric choke on your Mopar or it might be thermal. Look for a wire going to the choke and if the choke is mounted on the carb. or in the manifold.

Thanks for the info-what intake would you go with??

·
1977 Power Wagon Utiline
347 Posts
I would highly recommend any of these: Weiand Stealth #8022 or the Summit #226040 or the Mopar Performance #5007381. Of course none of these are EGR "friendly" (no EGR passage).

·
Mopar Or No Car!
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again for the info 77utiline. I think ill probably go with the Weiand intake. As for the carb would you stick with the edelbrock 600?

·
Mopar Madness - Get it...
4,032 Posts
Hey ramman.... Just a word of advice :D

I'm not sure how the 'smog' laws are in your corner, but you'd better make absolutely, positively, 100% sure, you can swap out a non-EGR intake for a rig that came 'factory' with one...

The reason I say this, having come from the SMOG LAW capital of the universe (Kalifornia)... I know that even way back then, when you got a 'smog check' they had a 'check list'... In other words, if you had a 19xx/20xx Poopmobile, they went down the list. It WILL have this and it WILL have that. If it didn't, you failed before they even stuck the doo-dad up yer tailpipe. I've seen guys fail because they didn't have some little vac hose hooked up....

Not trying to scare you or anything, but just want to make sure you know what you can/can't do before you do it :D

·
Mopar Or No Car!
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bherder said:
Hey ramman.... Just a word of advice :D

I'm not sure how the 'smog' laws are in your corner, but you'd better make absolutely, positively, 100% sure, you can swap out a non-EGR intake for a rig that came 'factory' with one...

The reason I say this, having come from the SMOG LAW capital of the universe (Kalifornia)... I know that even way back then, when you got a 'smog check' they had a 'check list'... In other words, if you had a 19xx/20xx Poopmobile, they went down the list. It WILL have this and it WILL have that. If it didn't, you failed before they even stuck the doo-dad up yer tailpipe. I've seen guys fail because they didn't have some little vac hose hooked up....

Not trying to scare you or anything, but just want to make sure you know what you can/can't do before you do it :D
Got the point I will definitely check with a local inspection shop before I proceed. ;)

·
1977 Power Wagon Utiline
347 Posts
ramman1 said:
Thanks again for the info 77utiline. I think ill probably go with the Weiand intake. As for the carb would you stick with the edelbrock 600?
No prob with the info. I most defenitely would stick with the Edelbrock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.