DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new here. I stumbled on to these forums when looking for troubleshooting tips for my new old Dodge. My father-in-law gave me his 1984 Power Ram W150 Royal SE. With my limited knowledge in engines, I think the 318 is in pretty good shape. However, the drivetrain/suspension has some issues and my knowledge with that area is non-existent.

Here is my problem: It walks all over the road dangerously. It makes a rubbing sound when in motion. When it is in park and you turn the steering wheel, you can see the front-end raise. My father-in-law took it to several local shops for the following adjustments and check-ups: Frame was checked-it is straight. Front end was aligned and toe-in/out, caster/camber adjusted. Still has the problems. One shop suggested the spindle(s)could be bent. Any ideas out there???? And sorry for the long post!!!!

·
Mopar Madness - Get it...
4,032 Posts
Hey there okie... WELCOME to the 'Club'.... ;)

When you say it walks all over the place, what does the steering wheel feel like? Is there a lot of 'slop' in the wheel before it 'does' anything? It could be, you've got the infamous 'Hunk-of-crap' steering coupler that The Dodge Boys changed over to in 79' ... Been there and done that one myself.

http://ramchargercentral.com/index.php?action=howtoshow;id=16

Do you have large/oversized tires?

If it were me, the first thing I'd do is get under the truck and make SURE that all suspension/steering nuts and bolts were tight, tight, tight.

Next, I'd put the front axle up on jacks, and while you're looking at the steering action (Have someone in the cab moving the steering back and forth)
see if you can see anything obvious.

I'd also have the ball joints checked... If you're not real comfortable doing this yourself, take it to someone you trust... The guy yanking on the tire at 'Joe's Tire Barn' won't know, because you basically have to take the brake caliper off to see how 'loose' they really are...

And don't worry about a long post (I've written MUCH longer :D ) we're here to help. ENJOY yer new Dodge!!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
steering wheel rag coup could be junk, if i remember and it has been 25 years..if you turn the wheel and it raises or lowers, then your caster camber is out. Sort of like a grader...wheels flop from side to side. or the dreaded wheel bearings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.