Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Our beloved 84 B150 has the dreaded annoying coolant smell coming through the dash. Seems to occur after a few minutes after getting warm. I believe this occurs regardless of temp setting on ac control panel. As well, a few days ago, when driving on the fwy during a very hot day, the temp gauge rose into the overheating territory. So I turned the heater on full blast to try and get that temp top come down. Oddly the temperature of the air didn't feel as hot as I thought (maybe because it was already 100 degrees in the van!) but it sort of reduced the coolant temp a slight bit.

I am wondering if this is a heater core issue. Or perhaps the plenum is not closing all the way and is sucking engine bay air in "and" I have some sort of misting coolant issue. Or perhaps a bad thermostat causing pressure build up. I can not find any noticeable leaks. I used some dye to see if I could spot an obvious coolant escape area. The reservoir has fluid in it and perhaps is going down a little but not at a huge rate. Maybe the radiator cap is not sealing well?
I did notice some coolant in the front of the radiator near the bottom outlet.

This AM I bypassed the Heater core. Will see if that eliminates the smell for now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.