DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
2014 1500 4x4 Laramie CC
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in hearing experience from anyone with a lot of miles on their 8-speed transmission.

I run about 40,000 miles a year, and need my truck to last 5 years, so 200,000 miles. I really don't want to rebuild or replace a transmission in that time.

Per the manual, this is supposed to be a "lifetime" fluid transmission, and is sealed with no way to check fluids. I'm torn about whether to trust that or not. I don't really trust anyone to tear into that transmission and break the seals to change the fluid. But at the same time I don't believe in the whole "lifetime" fluid thing. It most likely means life of the transmission, which I think could be shortened by the lack of any fluid changes.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Any transmission failures on the 8-speed? Anyone with over 100,000 miles want to weigh in on their experience?

TIA

Daren

·
Registered
331 Posts
The ZF 8 speed is just about the best transmission on the market right now, far superior to the old RF transmissions.

I personally don't believe in lifetime fluids either. Pretty sure MoparEcodiesel did his at 40k and said it was pretty black with metal residue in the pan. His recommendation was do it at around 40K then roughly every 60k if I remember right and to also change the pan filter. If you are a heavy daily hauler like he is the intervals would be sooner. His Ecodiesel is at 130k right now.

·
2014 1500 4x4 Laramie CC
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty sure MoparEcodiesel did his at 40k and said it was pretty black with metal residue in the pan. His recommendation was do it at around 40K then roughly every 60k if I remember right and to also change the pan filter. If you are a heavy daily hauler like he is the intervals would be sooner. His Ecodiesel is at 130k right now.
Yeah, I've seen his videos, and they concern me. But from what I understand he is towing a 7,000 lb trailer almost constantly, doing a ton of stop and go, and also a lot of mountain grades. He also had a temperature issue for awhile with his trans ranging around 240-250, which is really high. I've never seen mine outside the 170-195 range. So I'm hoping that's a unique case.

I've got 45,000 miles of mostly unloaded highway driving. I figure I should be good for at least 100,000 miles, but after that I'm unsure. Would love to see some more high mile examples, or find out when the usual failure point is for this ZF in the Ram.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.