DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Private Assasin
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the '97 & newer 8.25 carriers compatible with the '96 and older axle housings?

I know the newer rears use 29 spline axles vs. 27 spline on the older units, but does it otherwise "fit"?

If so, I think I'm going to install one on my Dart, then have Moser cut me a set of straight axles that are 29 spline.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
If you're looking for a good rear for your Dart it's pretty hard to beat the 8¾, especially if you have a healthy powerplant.

·
Private Assasin
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
true, but the 8 3/4 presents a few problems:

1) PRICE

2) all 8.75 rear axles were small bolt pattern (5x4). My car is a post 75, and uses the 5x4.5 lug pattern. I could get axles redrilled, but that's more $$ over the cost of purchase and rebuild.

For anything under 450hp on a "street" car that will see limited track time, the 8.25 and 904 trans combo is the way to go. Far less rotating weight, more power to the ground, and cheaper to locate/build.

If I was building a track car, or was planning on more a more drastic powerplant, I would seek out an 8.75. My motor is making AT BEST 400hp, probably more like 380hp, so the 8.75 just isn't needed.

·
Private Assasin
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, and DTS said the new carrier fit fine. Only the spline pattern is different....

YEAY!!!!!!!! :rck:

Thanks Ram Man!!!

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
superdart said:
true, but the 8 3/4 presents a few problems:

1) PRICE

2) all 8.75 rear axles were small bolt pattern (5x4). My car is a post 75, and uses the 5x4.5 lug pattern. I could get axles redrilled, but that's more $$ over the cost of purchase and rebuild.

For anything under 450hp on a "street" car that will see limited track time, the 8.25 and 904 trans combo is the way to go. Far less rotating weight, more power to the ground, and cheaper to locate/build.

If I was building a track car, or was planning on more a more drastic powerplant, I would seek out an 8.75. My motor is making AT BEST 400hp, probably more like 380hp, so the 8.75 just isn't needed.
Sorry, I can still find em around here for a couple hundred and you were already getting new axles so wasn't worried about the bolt pattern.

·
Private Assasin
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see your point. But the 8.75s around here are being horded. I know a guy with THREE A-body housings and refuses to part with them. Just the way it is around here. Many guys cut down C-body units, but again, that's more money to get durability I won't need.

Here's my plan:

3.55 gears
Suregrip carrier (29 pline)
Moser Axles
Carrier studs
Cover studs (4)
3" wheel studs
LPW diff girdle cover
Weld up axle tubes, and weld 1/2 angle iron to the length of the tubes "just in case" they want to twist. :D

realisticly I don't NEED 29 spline axles..not making enuff power for that..but it can't hurt for the minor amount of extra money.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.