DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
hemitwo said:
It won't.... but anyone looking for a new DCX vehicle in the next few months may be interested in knowing that all the '05's will have the 7/70 powertrain coverage, regardless of what date they are sold. 06's will not, again, regardless of when they are sold.

·
Up The Irons!
279 Posts
A friend of mine has an interesting theory. Dodge has discovered a potential problem with the hemis that they cannot fix without major re-engineering and due to the volume of them that are out there now, and they want to absolve themselves of any liability. I told him he's an idot. I have to agree though....DC says they're reducing it because quality has improved so they don't need it. If quality was so good, then having the longer warranty wouldn't be an issue because if the vehicles aren't having problems, it won't cost DC anything because they won't be doing repairs.

·
Shark Hunter
6,398 Posts
Exactly Hemi Operator, if reliability had improved it would cost them little to push the limited warranty, power train only out to 100,000/10 years and step up to have the best domestic coverage. Just think how much has been spent promoting the 7/70,000 over the years so would you remove it if it wasn't costing anything much in terms of payout on claims, hell no if wasn't taking from your bottom line you could push it out to a longer period and reap the benefits with the promotion. Your friend may well be thinking along the right lines.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Vehicle manufactures don't give free warranties. It's added to the price of the vehicle. If DC has to add $XXX for a 7/70 warranty, but the other manufactures don't offer a warranty that long, then DC is at a compeditive disadvantage. Warranties are just a marketing tool. My Dakota didn't have the 7/70 and I still would have bought my Ram even if it didn't have it. That's the bottom line - Would you have bought your Ram if it didn't have the 7/70?

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
DonRam said:
Would you have bought your Ram if it didn't have the 7/70?
I would have, but I also must say the 7/70 was a major factor in my jumping over the fence from the land of the bowtie. Almost 5K in insentives with a competitive price is what really grabbed me. :)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
DonRam said:
Would you have bought your Ram if it didn't have the 7/70?
Yes. So there.

·
Registered
621 Posts
FYI, I was told this (2005) will be the last year for 7/70.
And were you aware that after the initial 3/36 you have a $100 deductable on anything that goes wrong...

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Daytona_Dan said:
after the initial 3/36 you have a $100 deductable on anything that goes wrong...

I don't remember ever bringing a rig into get fixed that i didn't cost WELL over $100. And since I have the extended I was given a free rental while they turned my rotors for free. I thought that was sweet. I figured I'd be sitting there all day and the dude is like "Your ride will be right here." This was a first for me, so I was like "No shit!" I like my waranty as much as I like thrashing on rental Neons. :D

·
Shark Hunter
6,398 Posts
I don't mind the $100 deductable to much, I look on the 7/70,00 as covering the big dollar components, rebuilding/replacing the gearbox, engine or back axle. If a $30 sensor goes bad I can live with that rather than the $1000+ any of these would cost but to remove a benefit from the vehicle smacks of two possable things. 1 It's costing them too much or 2 It's going to cost them too much.
If the vehicles are so reliable that they don't need the coverage, the official line, why take something away that Dodge is so well known for? I guess time will show which or none at all but would it make a difference to my decision. Don't know, would have to crunch the numbers at the time and also take in to account " She Who Must Be Obeyed " into the equation.

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
Guys, it's a $300 warranty, and not a very good one at that. I'm always amazed that people say they would not have bought their DCX vehicle if not for 7/70. How hard will it really be to get a dealer to throw in a free extended warranty for you, or discount the amount of the warranty from the selling price? All the dealers want is your business.

Chrysler started the 7/70 (originally 7/100) program at a time when its vehicles were not selling very well in the post-9/11 marketplace. GM had just unveiled its 0% financing program and other manufacturers had huge rebate offers, and Chrysler needed to counter that, but wanted to do so in a way that would not further reduce the resale value of its products. Thus 7/70 was born.

Now that Chrysler has some of the hottest products in the market, they no longer need this program, from a marketing standpoint. All 7/70 is (or was) is an incentive for you to buy their products. And let's face it, when the product is good you don't have to pay people to buy it.

The same thing happened in the late 80's. Chrysler was offering 7/70 then. When the LH sedans and other popular new products debuted in the early 90's, 7/70 went away.

If you're still not satisfied, you can always buy a Cummins Diesel. The warranty on those goes to 100,000 miles. :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
BLACKWOLF said:
I would have, but I also must say the 7/70 was a major factor in my jumping over the fence from the land of the bowtie. Almost 5K in insentives with a competitive price is what really grabbed me. :)

I agree ... I must say that warrenty and a few other things they threw in the deal allong with rebates and shtuff ... Thats what took me away from Chev and into my new powerwagon .... :) On top of that .. the Powerwagon is a sweet truck and havent regreted it since :)

Dan

:stupid:

·
Registered
621 Posts
LOL, I actually get employee discounts on Ford and Chevrolet.. but Due to the blandness of Chevy and with just about everyone haveing a Ford, i decided to go out on a limb and try dodge.. FYI the general public can normally get the employee discount some time in the year.
The warranty the 0% and the stylishness is what brought me over...

Dan

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Daytona_Dan said:
LOL, I actually get employee discounts on Ford and Chevrolet.. but Due to the blandness of Chevy and with just about everyone haveing a Ford, i decided to go out on a limb and try dodge..
Funny, I saw a guy at the speed shop that said he worked as a salesman at the local Ferd stealership. He said he walks into increadible deals. I said "so you have a fleet of ferds?" He's like "No way, that's my SS Camaro and my wife drives a new Durango.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Off topic question.. Does anyone know what the Speed Govener is set at? On my old 01 tahoe it was about 95 then sputter sputter..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.