1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
2006 1500 4x4, 5.7L Hemi
Mods: DiabloSport on MPG Booster Tune

I went mudding two weeks ago (nothing too hardcore or anything, just some wet soft mud) and afterwards, the mileage on my overhead console said 9mpg. I didn't think anything of it because that readout is perpetually wrong, but I went and washed my truck and the mileage was still shit. I used to get 13.5 city and 16/17 highway. Now it's about 7/9mpg city and 10 highway.

During this time I realized that my truck's emissions were 'not ready' BUT no codes were being thrown. I've driven about 300miles since my mpg went down and the emissions are now 'ready' but I still have no codes/CEL.

I put Seafoam fuel system cleaner in the Truck and will be changing the spark plugs here in a couple days, I was just hopIng someone might have an idea of what might be wrong.. I really don't want to take it to the Stealership.

Thanks!
Austin

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sounds like it could be the o2 Sensor.. i went through somedeep water when i had my Dakota..after i came out there was no check engine light on.. BUT i was getting horrible MPG.. i changed my plugs cap rotor.. all the basic stuff.. then i changed my O2 Sensor.. and it solved the problem!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did go there a little bit of water..
I figured I had ripped an o2 wire or something, but all of them are good. Is there anyway to test the o2 sensors?
With my DiabloSport I can read real time engine/electrical info. I just don't know what the read outs should be..

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have no idea about the testing of the O2 Sensors.. but mine looked fine as well.. but it was still bad!!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
Another thought would be the drive axles or brakes are dragging from mud clogging systems. Pull rear drums and check for mud.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks, D. I had thought of that so I pulled my F + R calipers (changed the pads while I was at it).
Didn't change anything =\

ETA: the truck doesn't feel low on power or like its dragging. Doesn't pull to one side like the calipers are sticking.. I have a feeling it's the o2 sensor(s), it's just a matter of figuring out which one..

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you happen to have android, try the app called torque. There's a lot of sensor monitoring in it like voltage from your o2. Might help?

Sent from my EVO LTE

·
Registered
555 Posts
If you happen to have android, try the app called torque. There's a lot of sensor monitoring in it like voltage from your o2. Might help?

Sent from my EVO LTE
X2...if you don't have it, get it...nice to have. Good Luck getting this figured out.

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
The rear axle on my 04 has an e-brake as well as rotor. Pull off rear disk is what I was thinking, didn't know if you did that.

·
Registered
912 Posts
just a thought, did u check your air filter????

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I feel like an idiot. I figured out how to read the DiabloSport (it was painfully obvious) and my problem is definitely the O2 Sensors.
I was only able to change one of the DownStream sensors tonight, but my mileage immediately jumped to 13/14 hwy.

I really appreciate everyone's input, and hopefully someone can learn from my silly mistake.

Thanks guys,
Austin

·
Thread Derailer
1,854 Posts
if you ever suspect it's your O2 sensor, it's just as easy to sniff the exhaust and figure it out (not which sensor but IF it's a sensor problem) it's easy to smell a rich mix

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
I just knew you were going to say you found 200-pounds of dried mud on the underside of the truck.

:pDT_sumo:

·
+ Hemi Addict +
580 Posts
I just knew you were going to say you found 200-pounds of dried mud on the underside of the truck.

:thatfunny LOL!!! Been there done that. Another thing to check for if you've been doing alot of off-roading is physical damage to the exhaust system, dents and crushed pipes that could restrict flow or damage a kitty cat

·
Rammit06
789 Posts
I've done that before, bent my left tailpipe all the way from a 45 deg angle to a 90... so I had one going straight out the side and one at a 45. Haha

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)

Haha!
Nah, I spent about 2.5hrs washing most of the mud off (although I keep finding MORE mud on the undercarriage).

****Unfortunately, I did not solve my problem..
With one new O2 Sensor, a day after install, my MPG was back down to 5.5-8mpg. The voltage readout for the O2 Sensors (DownStream, both sides) was -0.04. That Doesn't seem right.

So I installed the second O2 Sensor, and my mileage went back to 14ish MPG. BUT the voltage was still -0.04.

I have a feeling I have a short.
Would that be causing the Negative Voltage? I don't think there was anyway I could install the O2 Sensor Connectors backwards.

Any ideas?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.