DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a motorhome built on a '79 Sportsman, and have been having issues getting it running. I can't get in contact with the guy I bought it from, but I believe he had been using the wrong parts when he was replacing things. A few months after I bought it, I began having these issues, and when I went to check the battery, I realized he used an incorrect battery for the B300, not sure what model he was using when replacing parts. But I bought a new battery, and it seemed to start working fine. Then, the day I was planning to leave on a trip, I started having issues again, that time I replaced the alternator. I got to my destination, and a relative (who has more experience than me when it comes to older vehicles) became under the impression that the issue is the voltage regulator, so we replaced that part. I got home, and literally as I pulling up my street, the vehicle died again.

After speaking with my relative, he recommended I just work my way down the electrical system, because a lot of the parts were new. He's recommending I next replace the starter solenoid or the ignition relay. I'm not the most mechanically gifted, but at the time, he pointed to the pictured cylinder. It is connected to the starter and the battery. When I looked online for the solenoid and the relay, neither of the parts looked like this one. Does anyone know what this part is so I can replace it? Or does anyone have any suggestions for my electrical troubles?

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all,

I have a motorhome built on a '79 Sportsman, and have been having issues getting it running. I can't get in contact with the guy I bought it from, but I believe he had been using the wrong parts when he was replacing things. A few months after I bought it, I began having these issues, and when I went to check the battery, I realized he used an incorrect battery for the B300, not sure what model he was using when replacing parts. But I bought a new battery, and it seemed to start working fine. Then, the day I was planning to leave on a trip, I started having issues again, that time I replaced the alternator. I got to my destination, and a relative (who has more experience than me when it comes to older vehicles) became under the impression that the issue is the voltage regulator, so we replaced that part. I got home, and literally as I pulling up my street, the vehicle died again.

After speaking with my relative, he recommended I just work my way down the electrical system, because a lot of the parts were new. He's recommending I next replace the starter solenoid or the ignition relay. I'm not the most mechanically gifted, but at the time, he pointed to the pictured cylinder. It is connected to the starter and the battery. When I looked online for the solenoid and the relay, neither of the parts looked like this one. Does anyone know what this part is so I can replace it? Or does anyone have any suggestions for my electrical troubles?

Thanks in advance,
View attachment 628839
starter relay

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
15 bucks on Amazon.
Alright, so this looks identical to what I have. It's definitely not the part that an auto parts store would sell me for a B300, why might someone put this in? There's actual two of them in the engine bay, I assumed that one of them was for the generator, so I detached it from the battery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all,

Thanks in advance,
View attachment 628839
I had a similar problem with a 1991 Excalibur Custom Van I bought near Dallas. It seems that when the previous owner replaced the battery terminals he didn't reconnect all of the grounds. Was about to replace the alternator and had them test the new one and the old one for comparison. They tested the same (and you know that alternator is a real pain to change by yourself). I bought a regulator module, a plug for it, a roll of wire and crimp kit. As I was repairing the wire connectors around the battery I noticed a short piece of wire coming off of the fire wall. And the regulator module gets it's ground from? Problem solved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts