DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
rock_hauler
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 79 RC 318 running, got it up to temp to set the timing and I noticed coolant leaking from the back of the engine. it is coming from what I can tell is between the engine and the bell housing. This being the only small block that I've ever owned is there a freeze plug on the back of the motor between the engine and bell housing? I have always had big blocks and the first place I checked was the freeze plugs on the side of the block and back of the heads.

George

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Yes, I believe there is one there.

·
rock_hauler
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I ckecked again It's not coming from the back of the head and it doesn't look like a head gasket. Its all on left rear side of the block coolant leaking at the rear most oil pan bolt. there is no coolant in the oil. with the engine off it is a steady drip but when the engine running it is a steady stream. I bought this RC for $400 they said it needed a new timing chain, other than that I don't know that much about small blocks all my books don't show anything about freeze plugs

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
LOL. My mistake, Speed. One on each bank. :gr_patrio

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
are you sure it is not one of the side freeze plugs? or worse...cracked block?

·
Registered
177 Posts
hope you have a good weekend ansd someone to help you. this exact same thing happened to me on my 90 5.2. there are two freeze plugs on the back of the block. if it's like mine, it probably rotted from the inside out. no quick fix, just have to drop the trans and replace it, or both. mine led to me "finding" other things to do also. i ended up rebuilding my trans, replacing the bed, replacing tie rods, shocks....it never ends sometimes. BTW, i used regular brass plugs, i just don't trust those rubber ones and the whole set was under $15 anyway.

·
440 and a 4 speed
976 Posts
hope you have a good weekend ansd someone to help you. this exact same thing happened to me on my 90 5.2. there are two freeze plugs on the back of the block. if it's like mine, it probably rotted from the inside out. no quick fix, just have to drop the trans and replace it, or both. mine led to me "finding" other things to do also. i ended up rebuilding my trans, replacing the bed, replacing tie rods, shocks....it never ends sometimes. BTW, i used regular brass plugs, i just don't trust those rubber ones and the whole set was under $15 anyway.

Times two. I had a 340 that did the same exact thing - the driver side back freeze plug rotted out (We were on the way to the dragstrip). I put bars leak in it for the night (it held). Wound up pulling the motor the next weekend and replaced all the freeze plugs. (use the brass ones - only a few bucks more for the kit....it's like 10-15 bucks for the whole set).

·
rock_hauler
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok looks like i am going to pull the motor and I was planning to replace with brass freeze plugs, that way I won't have to worry about them

·
440 and a 4 speed
976 Posts
Good idea...you will be much happier....also, something to think about - since you have the motor out...might want to redo the rear main seal and oil pan gasket since it will be easy to get at.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Good idea...you will be much happier....also, something to think about - since you have the motor out...might want to redo the rear main seal and oil pan gasket since it will be easy to get at.
Rock_Hauler,

These are good suggestions from Delray.

You might also consider replacing the seals in the tranny, especially the front seal which you can't get at while the engine is "in the way", and that hard-to-access small-block oil pump as well.

Jeff

·
rock_hauler
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I figured it would be easier yo pull the motor out and change all freeze plugs than trying to drop the heavy cast iron NP435 and transfer case. I appreciate the idea of changing the rear main seal and pan gasket.

·
440 and a 4 speed
976 Posts
I figured it would be easier yo pull the motor out and change all freeze plugs than trying to drop the heavy cast iron NP435 and transfer case.

I would agree.....can easily be done in a day or less

I appreciate the idea of changing the rear main seal and pan gasket.

Thanks...I wish someone would have made that suggestion when i did the 340....pulled the motor, did the freezeplugs and put back in (did it on a Saturday)...a month later, the rear main started leaking......

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
isn't that how it always goes.....

·
rock_hauler
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I have beenfighting with elect. problems (coil,ign module,ballast resistor,starter relay) among other problems tring to get it running.then when I do get it running now the freeze plugs. If I had a big block bell housing I would have put my 440 in it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.