DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going crazy !! Restored my 77/318 I have been having fuel problems. When the truck sits awhile it is easier to pour gas in the carb than to pump the gas 20-25 times and wind the battery down. It has a man choke installed. When it starts it runs great. When I shut it off it is an endless crap shoot to get started. dont pump pump choke pump choke no pump ect. The start sequence is different every time,even when hot. Ive had the tank dropped an looks fine. All my work and it cant be trusted. Often when running errands I leave it running, lock the doors and do my business. Thinking of electric fuel pump?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds like a carb problem. I had an electric pump for the extra tank in the back of my 64 d200. It did work to start faster in winter.

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
What carb is on it? You shouldn't have to keep pumping the gas. Sounds like the accelerator pump is not working correctly.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I'd throw an electric pump in until you sort it...or stick with the epump.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Pumping the gas pedal is equivalent to pouring gas down the throat IF the accelerator pump works properly AND the floats are properly set.
Try pulling the front bowl and see if the needle valve is sticking closed preventing the bowl from filling. If the bowl is not full when you pull it off, that is a major indication of a stuck float or bad needle valve. Cleaning with carb cleaner should clear that up easily (spray and work the valve assy while the bowl is off).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts