DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago my uncle came across an old dodge that was still hanging on but needed alot of help, he sold it to my dad for 300 and we brought it to life together. It's a 78 dodge d200 with a ⁸440 and a TF727. Love the truck but I wanted 4x4 so I kept watching for one to come along. I recently ran into a friend who I hadn't seen in years and he has an old 76 w100 power wagon with a 318. Its missing the radiator and grille but rest of the truck seems mostly solid. He made me a deal its mine if it drives out! My dad and I have spent a couple days on it now and we know the motor turns and starter works I have no spark but there are alot of wiring issues to solve that could be the culprit. I'm rewiring the truck according to the diagram and then going from there. If I get it to fire up I'll get it a new cooling system and put it back on the road.

·
Red Trucker
1,968 Posts
Replace the ballast resistor and make sure all the wiring from the coil to distributor is up to snuff. Also make sure your ignition box hasn't crapped out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've already got the new resistor and I'm making a whole new wiring harness for the ignition and engine. I'm putting in all new ignition coil dizzy and eco as well as the ignition switch. I'm following this wiring diagram and found that almost all the wires are either ran to wrong location or just are not connected at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Today I went through all the wiring in the engine bay and traced back everything and it all looks good now, and I've traced and repaired multiple wires in the cab but I'm only a out half done. Happy to say though I've made good progress up to now since I now have power to the fuse box properly and I have most of my lights working now. The truck was not spinning the motor from the key before but is now and it looks promising. I am not getting any spark and both terminals on the coil are showing the power pulsing when key is in run position but not running. It got dark so I'm gonna finish the wiring once I get over there again.
It's got a new ballast resistor and ammeter and ecu

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So finished the wiring and got it to where I'm getting spark from the coil but it's not making it to the plugs, I'm thinking its the electronic pickup inside the distributor but I'm not sure yet. I'm looking at a new one but it says it has to be adjusted right? How do these get adjusted and would I get spark from the coil if the pickup inside the distributor is bad? Are either of the 2 wires going into the distributor from the ecu supposed to light up a 12v test light?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Got the truck running today. I found out that the ecu I had was the wrong one. Got the right one in there and it fired up and sounded beautiful. I installed the new radiator and hoses and until I get a new mechanical pump I bypassed it with a Holley red pump I had sitting around. Now it runs but there is still alot to do before this sees the road. It needs the wiring finished and tires aired up and the carb rebuilt plus a couple hose and some vaccum lines need replaced . I need to install the grill and make sure all the lights work and then take it for a test drive
20200224_161305.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts