DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a '76 B300. It starts fine and idles very smooth. I put a rebuilt carb on it because the other one was causing flames from the leaking exhaust manifold. That problem is taken care of but it stalls on take-off, especially in reverse where it is almost impossible to get it to move.

On the open road at speeds over 5 mph you can give it fuel liberally and it has no problem but on take off it dies unless you give it very little fuel.

The timing has been set and it has new: plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor button. There are no wires coming from the carb at all; only vacuum hoses and they are all it good shape. I also replace the module on the fire wall just to see what it would do. Any suggestions?

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Unfortunately the quality of carburetor rebuilds vary from carb. to carb. It sounds like the accelerator pump is shot even on the rebuild that you bought. Some carbs. have an adjustment on the accelerator pump arm that controls how far the pump goes down.

My advice to you is to yank the 2bbl. setup off and get yourself an Edelbrock Performer intake and Edelbrock 600 cfm 4bbl. Expensive, but it will free up some HP and you might actually get better fuel mileage. I put this combo on the 360 in my '69 Dodge and it runs great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re:

Thanks. You are the second person to tell me that. I was trying to deny it because it is a new (rebuilt) carb but I guess I can't. I will take it back and exchange it and hope for the best.

I don't really have much money to invest in switching to the 4bbl as much as I would like it. The van is going to be an ice cream truck and I am on a budget. Thanks so much for your help.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Does it do it even after it's warmed up? Is the choke set correctly? My '77 (with no choke) will stall until it's warmed up, then it's OK. Need to hook up the manual choke...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it does it even when it is warm. I drove it about 7 mi to my dad's house and it did it the whole way. 3 people have told me it is the accelerator pump so I am pretty sure it is that. Even cold it starts great. I just pust the accelerator to the floor to set the automatic choke, turn the key and she is running. After you get up speed 5 mph or so she runs great. It is only on take off that it stalls. They didn't give me a hassle at the parts store about exchanging it so I bet it is a pretty common problem. I'll pick up the new one tomorrow and see what happens....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.