DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the torsion springs for the trunk lids the same as coupe's?

My friends boss bought a 71 Challenger convertible. Apparently there are no springs with it. He needs information on how many there are and how they bolt on.

Thanks
Todd

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
if I'm reading the parts interchange manual correctly, I don't see a difference ....

looks like they are not right and left specific and it appears that its the same part number for 71-74 Barracuda's and Challengers

all models and body styles

hope this helps

(some one else wanna double check ?)

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
They should be the same. Trunklid for a convertible is the same part as hardtop car.
Mine has two torsion bars as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys I'll let him know. For some reason they were thinking the '71 was different.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't remember all the details, but our experience is that they're not the same. My son is restoring a '71 big block challenger convertible, and the convertible rod (rods?) is/are shorter, due to the way the top mechanism encroaches into the space at the upper front sides of the trunk compartment. We couldn't find an original one; but one can be fabricated from a regular one. Just mark along its length with a permanent marker, and then cut it and reweld it. Line up your marks when you weld it, and the ends will then still be in the proper relationship to one another. I don't remember if there was one or two; I just remember the trouble we had. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply Rick. All information helps. I will let my friend know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.