DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Illinois Boy
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my dads challenger seems to have lost reverse and the other gears are messed up. Although 1st seems to be the forward gear still (auto). What is everyones experience with rebuilding one of these ( to handle over 500hp) and getting a new one? He aint rich so a $2000 tranny is way out of the question. The car is not a strip queen but a weekend warrior on the streets, thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
sounds like possiable geartrain damage. proper hands on diagnostics by qualified tech is recomended. Building it to handle 500hp will require $$$. I'd suggest finding a dealer tech that does work on the side to save money and get iti done right.

·
Illinois Boy
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Further playing today if he gunned it in reverse it would kinda go backwards but with a mighty strain. No clue if its the stock un touched tranny or not. When my dad bought it it was already rated at 570hp, which is around 600 now. Checked the fluid today to and it sure aint red. Were gonna pull it and have it checked out I guess like you said.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Sounds like a good idea! if the fluid is burnt, it's time to come apart.
Do all forward gears work? The front clutch is used for reverse(with the low/reverse band applied) and 3rd gear(with the rear clutch applied).

·
Illinois Boy
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont know about 2 or D but 1st works as when we pushed it out of the garage he drove it back in. Park, nuetral act like no gear but somethings grabbing and the engine sounds to be in gear, same as reverse except when enough RPM is there it will learch pretty hard backwards.

·
Registered
14 Posts
man that thing is stuffed pull it down and you will fined the clutch plates are welded to the steels and all the metal is scoring the seals thats why it is hard to take off the seals are buy passing
good luck

ps dont do it your self

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.