DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many of you bought and installed Dodge's 7 way wire harness? At the moment I have a hidden hitch and the standard 4 pin under the rear bumper. Is it fairly straight forward to install? Or should I pass on the OEM and get something cheaper from my local hitch store?
Thanks
Mike

·
RamFever
601 Posts
I originally bought the 7 pin from the dealership which ran all the way to the battery, mucho $$$ and all I needed was the hookup for the lights so I returned it and bought one from U-Haul for $25 that plugs into the 4 pin under the bumper. I didn't need to connect it to the brakes since I do not haul much.

·
Shark Hunter
6,398 Posts
If you need power to your trailer and brakes it's the way to go, not a bad job.
The only thing I didn't like was having to splice into the reverse light feed behind the right taillight for the feed to the 7way round. The two wires running forward, red and blue, power and brakes, are easy to run neatly behind tank and make connections at front end.
If you need more than basic trailer lights it's the way to go.

·
Code 3 Rammer
510 Posts
If you are talking about the stock "square" on the left side of the LP, then yes, that is where it goes. I bought the harness off of the web somewhere and installed it in a couple of hours. It is really easy if you have access to a lift. The only difficult part was trying to run the wires up over the gas tank. Overall it is not too bad.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I used the MOPAR 7 pin harness as well. It's the best way to go. It will require running a wire to the battery because 1 of the 7 pins is supposed to be a hot battery connection. It also comes with the electric brake control wire.

·
RamFever
601 Posts
RamCan said:
mer43amg, where you able to mount the 7 way in the stock location in the bumper?
Like USMCROB said, just left of the license plate the square plastic fill just pops out and the 7 pin connector came with a plate to screw in. Piece of cake and it plugged into the 4 pin but I don't have the trailer brakes hooked up, just using the lights.

·
Shark Hunter
6,398 Posts
RamCan said:
Just to clarify, does the mopar 7 way plug into the existing 4 way?
Yes, You get four of the seven there.
The other three are
Reverse - Spliced behind left side tail light.
Trailer power - Red wire run forward complete with fuse.
Trailer brakes - Blue wire run forward and taken through firewall to brake controller.
Only bug I had is that it says it's Plug and Play and you have to splice the reverse feed if you need it.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
If you get it from the factory you have the 7 pin in the bumper AND the 4 pin under the bumper. They used to give you a 7 to 4 adapter to plug into the 7 pin but I believe in 02 or 03 they started putting a 4 pin under the bumper and did away with the adapter

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.