DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to bite the bullet and get an 05 CTD 2500 before they are gone, and the 06 comes out. I pretty much have already spec'd out the truck, but I am having a hard time deciding which tranny to get. I have had horrible luck with Dodge Auto trannies, but I am sure that the Diesel ones are more heavy duty. How well will each one hold up to power mods? To the folks with the 6spds, how do you like them? I seen that Dodge advertised a 6spd, and a heavy duty 6spd for about 400 bucks more. What's the difference? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
208 Posts
i have an 05 2500 and my buddie has a 04.5 3500 dually. both have the 373 rearends and antispin rearend . the onlt difference is mine has the six speed and his has the 4 speed automatic. his truck has about 17000 miles on it and mine has 5500 miles on it. his get about 13.5 to the gallon empty and mine gets 20.5 miles empty. his truck loaded 10.5 and mine loaded 17.0 miles to a gallon. the heavy duty 6 speed is all you can get behind the diesel. you take off a little bit slower in the 6 speed but the fuel mileage makes up for it. also the six speed can handle more mods than the auto with out transmission mods. the automatic reverse gear is a lot higher than the 1st gear inthe auto and makes backing up loaded harder unless you use 4-wheel low. i wouldnt take anything for my 6-speed . hope this helps ! :gr_patrio

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I think that I pretty much made up my mind. I think the 6spd is the way to go for me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the 6 gear box as well and like the man said, you may take off abit slower but the mileage makes the difference. Also, in stop and go traffic first gear is the perfect gear to match the traffic without continually on and off the clutch. The main reason I went with the MT was for the mileage, average 20.5 MPG.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have an 05 QC swb Auto 4x4, I have averaged 16.5mpg so far, and I have no mods. Its all up to what you want, if you want to shift gears or not. Is it true the sticks dont have the nice fold down cup holder? :D

·
Registered
442 Posts
Dr. James said:
I have had horrible luck with Dodge Auto trannies, but I am sure that the Diesel ones are more heavy duty.
They are. I have owned a V8, a V10 and now the diesel and there is a major difference in the trannies on the CTD.

Son of Mr. Ed said:
Its all up to what you want, if you want to shift gears or not. Is it true the sticks dont have the nice fold down cup holder?
:thatfunny I have to agree.....at 5:30 in the morning, driving down the road half awake, I dont want to be shifting gears with my coffe cup between my legs :D

·
Registered
852 Posts
Mine averages between 18-22 mpg and I have an auto. I personally believe its all how you drive the truck. If you beat the crap out of it then you will get bad gas mileage, it you drive it normally then you will get good gas mileage. As far as, tranny durability the HD trannies are make alot stronger than 1/2 ton trannies just because of the work lots of people use their HD's for.

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
My opionion on it... is "Do you tow a lot/heavy load?" If not... to me, the 6 spd is not worth it. In a gasser, a standard is awesome... but on the diesel it's geard so low, it's not worth it.

It's all about you having to consider what you want with it. I personally don't tow a lot to deam it worth it... I also wanted to play with it and go fast and the stadard wasn't right for that either.

Oh, and even with my heavy foot... I got 17 in tow (stop and go and 6 mile trips max) and on the freeway around 21... all hand calculated.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The reason I was considering the manual is because I have been reading about folks having problems with the autos slipping when the truck gets modded (which I plan on). Basically people were stating that the tranny would slip if they were running anything higher then 3 on the tuner boxes (6step boxes) of all various brands. What are peoples takes on that? What is the typical cost to bullet proof the auto tranny?

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
if i had an auto i wouldnt mod the truck without modding the tranny.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, does anyone have any web links to folks that mod the Dodge heavy duty auto trannies? What is the average cost of making one pretty bullet proof? I am not looking to drag race the truck or anything, I just want it to be tough enough to handle all the levels of tunning box without slipping or having problems. I figure that if I am going to pay for a box with 6 levels of tuning, why would I be content with only running it on 3 levels?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Well, I've heard the clutches on the 6 spds don't hold up to large amounts of modifications either, so...Do your research, test drive both, and get which one you like the most and want to drive...

·
Registered
6 Posts
The stock clutch in the HD 6 speed (NV5600) will hold approx 100hp worth of mods if driven reasonably. I can't comment on the other 6 speed, (G56) because I dont have one. It is definetly geared low, but I often launch the truck in 3rd gear if I'm playing around with the local powerstrokes. Manual trans will never be "faster" than an auto, but the milege difference and the upgrade cost difference (1,200.00 vrs. 2,500.00+) made the difference for me. I also pull a heavy 5th wheel camper, (Keyperformance Raptor, 3612DS) so I liked the control I had with the manual trans. Just my .02 ;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
I you want to "hot rod" your truck, the auto is the best way to go. A 6 speed manual transmission is not a speed shifting wiz. It's a truck transmission designed for heavy loads, not drag racing.

Just look under a 6 speed truck and check out the size of the transmission. Yes, it is a TRUCK transmission. If you want to slam through the gears, you will be greatly disappointed.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would not trade my 6 speed for any auto trans
A:lunching in 3rd i have taken 3 differant auto trans easy
B:A lot more control loaded
C:the 6 speed was a $100.00 option.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.