DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was building a new dodge on the dodge.com site. i noticed that you can mate a 6 speed manual tranny to the 4.7 litre motor. can anyone tell me if this tranny is a good solid tranny or if id be better off going with the automatic.

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
What is the trany called... I can get you the specs if it has a NAME....

If its a close ratio or wide ratio will be the biggy....

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
53 Posts
It's the new GetRag 6 Speed. Not sure one durabilty.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im really wondering. is getrag the name or just a nickname. this isnt the one put in the jeeps by chrysler is it. i know the 4.7 isnt the most powerful motor....but i want truck parts on it...not small suv parts.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not sure if this is right, its what i dug up so far

NV3500
1st - 4.01
2nd - 2.32
3rd - 1.40
4th - 1.00
5th - 0.73

Getrag
1st - 4.23
2nd - 2.53
3rd - 1.67
4th - 1.23
5th - 1.00
6th - 0.79

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
a lil something else:

Joining Chrysler's 6-speed manual family is the Getrag 238, featured as standard equipment on the all-new 2005 Dodge Dakota and 2005 Dodge Ram 1500. Replacing the NV3500 5-speed manual, this 6-speed offers smoother shifting with triple-cone synchronizers on the First and Second gears, and double cones on Third and Fourth. Noise, vibration and harshness are minimized with hard-finish gears. The shift rails are supported by ball bearings and Teflon bushings to provide precise shift feel. Torque capacity and efficiency are also optimized, says Chrysler, through the use of an intermediate plate, speed gears supported by needle bearings, and clean-sealed ball bearings on shafts. A 2-piece, die-cast aluminum housing reduces weight while still providing the required stiffness.

how do you guys think the getrag 6 speed would handle 35 inch tires.....a lil more solidly then the auto or no?

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
any opinions

·
ASE approved
8,862 Posts
well a friend of mine works on trannys for dodge and has for years. he tlod me the other day that the nv3500 was bassically a bullet proof tranny and 100 times stronger than the auto as far as the 6 speed i couldent tell you. if you can go w/ the 5 speed that is what he told me i should get. he worked for my dad for about 7 years (as a tranny guy)5 years ago and still does it today. i know taht he is not going to give me bad info. so take it for what its worth.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
do you think you could ask him about the 6 speed and see what you can find out.

·
ASE approved
8,862 Posts
how long has the 6 speed been out?? if its only been out of the 05 model year i doubt he will know much. he wont know much for about 3 years on it untill they start to have problems or lack of.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks...anyone else?

·
Banned
7,195 Posts
What i'm thinking is the 6speed manual tranny isn't going to be as tough as a Tremec TKO transmission but it's not going to weak as hell either because the truck is made for hauling. If anything breaks it's 7 years warranty. As long as you don't burnout/donuts and go to the track I'm sure the new Getrag will be okay.

oh, btw. it's the rear end gear ratio that should be in question not if the tranny can handle 35inch tires. Get some 4.56's and you shouldn't have anything to worry about. good luck

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
is the TKO the automatic 5 speed? i was just thinking since the 4.7 litre motor isnt the most outlandish powerhouse i could use all the help getting the power to the wheels and i didnt want an auto taking up some of the power.

·
Banned
7,195 Posts
The Tremec TKO is a 5 speed manual tranny and i was just using that for an example. I don't think it'll fit the Dodge. Actually i doubt it:D It will fit a Ford Mustang though.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
haha....i think the 6 speed will be a good buy. i have been thinking about it and they wouldnt put a product into their vehicle that cant handle the power the motor puts out. im pretty sure for a daily driver and a hunting vehicle that will see the trails occasionally and the beach a couple times a year either will do....

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have never heard of a bad Getrag Trans. They make a crap load of trannys for euro cars and trucks. I believe they supply Mercedes Benz a lot and their trannys are in the MB trucks. More melding of the goodies between Daimler and Chrysler.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
awesome...im looking foward to it in a few months

·
what's your left leg doin
2,288 Posts
I held off on posting on this since my truck was not here yet..........

I now have a 4.7 ram with the getrag model 238 6-speed manual. :D
Did you order yours yet?
I would definatly recommend the 3.92 axle ratio, that's what I have.
Very happy with it so far. :tup:

·
Banned
7,195 Posts
stickshiftsrule said:
I held off on posting on this since my truck was not here yet..........

I now have a 4.7 ram with the getrag model 238 6-speed manual. :D
Did you order yours yet?
I would definatly recommend the 3.92 axle ratio, that's what I have.
Very happy with it so far. :tup:
that's awesome stickshift. and i agree, stick shifts do rule.
you should go with 4.56's

·
Registered
989 Posts
Nv4500 :rck:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.