DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a 2005 dakota, quad, rwd. My big question is should I opt for the 6 speed getrag or the auto. The 6 speed will save me a thousand, enabling me to get the v8. No one has a 6 speed anywhere so i have yet to drive one, i will have to order it from dodge. That has me a little concerned. Also I will be towing a boat, about 2500 lbs total and i am wondering how the 6 speed will perform on the ramp. i am pretty good with a clutch, will probobaly put in a lsd aftermarket. They don't make the 05 Dak w/ a LSD. Which axle ratio should I consider, as i am hoping the 3.55 will work well. Is there a fuel economy vs performance consideration for this axle? Some posts indicate that the auto v8 runs a little high on the rpm at 65mph.
Dodge's post on their info site suggests that the 4.23 gearing is designed for towing. A lot of people tell me go auto , no one uses 6 speeds,. (for a reason). then again, am I overanalysing here???? I just want to make the best decision before i drop $20,000 on a truck. Please help me out here fellas.

·
287 cu inches of pain
1,137 Posts
First I don't see why the 6 speed wouldn't work, haven't heard any feedback on them yet but I am sure they aren't bad. I would get the highest numerical gears you can get, i.e. 3.92's or 4.10's And at 65 my truck is only pulling about 1800 rpm. But it is the auto. you should be even lower. Also I think you can still get the lsd. At least the last time I buildt one online I could.

Andrew

·
Registered
518 Posts
Nobody uses a 6-speed? Maybe not on the Gasoline engines, but the Cummins has come with a 6-Speed since the introduction of the HO Cummins in 1998, and I believe Chevy and Ford also use a 6-Speed on their diesels. And since a Diesel is designed for heavy trailering, I'm gonna say that the 6-speed won't be a bad choice at all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2005 quad cab, V8 & 6-spd with 3:55 lsd. I was reluctant to order it because I couldn't find one to test drive, but I did. I am very satisfied with the V8 & 6-spd combination. I do have the trailer package, but have not towed yet. I do wish that they had an integrated brake controller. It is tough locating a brake controller and have it not in the way or sacrifice a cup holder.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dear 3 Oaks,

Finally, someone who has the six!!! i never got the chance to drive on so i took a little leap of faith. Looks like I was justified. Have taken a lot of... grief from the family about my choice of a 6, mostly cuz they are older and are terrified at having to shift and steer, and I won't even bring up the evil spectre of the ramp with them. With a heavy powerful truck and the LSD, i don't anticipate any problems. How crisp is the shifting? And what is an integrated brake cont? The boat, trailer and engine will only weigh about 2500 pounds, so i didn't get the tow pack. Best of all, we saved $1,000 on the tranny by not getting the 6. (paid for the v-8 and the lsd!) Yeah, baby. Only problen is i have to wait 4 weeks for Dodge to build the damn thing!

·
mope
531 Posts
I would definitely get the 6 speed. I have a 98 auto with the 360, and it just seems there is more power to be had. I have a 89 wrangler with the 5 speed, and love it so much more. Even off Road I think it is funner to have. You just get more power to the ground.

·
Registered
12 Posts
KreweRoux To start with-
BRAKE CONT-the integrated braked controller would be for a trailer with electric brakes. Without cutting a hole somewhere, there is no place I can figure on mounting it & it not be in the way.
WAIT-4 week wait isn't bad... I waited about 5 months.
SHIFTING-I don't know if the shifting is crisp or not. I feel that it is smooth, so far the ratios are working out good. My box trailer is about 5,000 lbs loaded and it towed very well.
Hope I answered your questions.

·
Registered
52 Posts
threeoaksfarm

Could you please tell me what rear-end you new truck came with? 10 bolts is an 8.25", 12 is a 9.25". Please say 9.25". Thank you.

/sorry to hijack the thread

·
Platinum 2K R/T
4,054 Posts
Mope has it right. My 360 would be much better with a 6 speed, you can make better use of the engine's available power. Especially for towing duties! I would love to have a 6 speed manual. I heard while they were testing the new Ram (3.7L V6 reg cab long box RWD), that for first and second gear you have to keep the revs high so you don't cut too far back on the power band. When I expand my store I plan to get a 3.7L dak with the V6 and 6 speed. I can't wait!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 06 v8 with manual tranny... i like it i have put about 6k mi. on it and i use the sixth gear whenever i cruise the freeway/highway above 50 ish. cruises quite nicely at that. the only thing im having problems with is getting used to the extra gear on down shifts keep wanting to go into wrong gear oops ohh well i get used to it.

·
what's your left leg doin
2,288 Posts
I have the 6-speed as well, and I love it!
Should be even better with the shorter lever on the dakota.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Gears

How do you like the 6-speed with 3.92's? It's got taller gears already than the NV3500 did.

·
what's your left leg doin
2,288 Posts
b1llyw said:
How do you like the 6-speed with 3.92's? It's got taller gears already than the NV3500 did.
I like it a lot, I special-ordered it w/ the 3.92's.
70 mph has me at about 2200 rpm (if I remember right).
I had a vid up awhile back that showed me getting 1-2-3 rubber with it. (but it's not up anymore).
I could easily step up to 33's, but I don't want to lose any perfomance.

·
Registered
111 Posts
!2 bolt 9.25" SWEEEEEETT!!!

TDIster-
Are you as stoked as I am about the 9.25? I was going to get custom axle shafts made for my 03 durango but the new ones should fit right in and hopefully be cheaper and faster to get. I never saw it on the dodge site only-8.25. I can now run the wheels I want on 16's and the big rotors of my year only. I hope they're avaliable in parts dept. with the 5 on 5.5? I know rambling...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.